thumbnail Hello,

The Magpies have endured a miserable run of form of late as their manager's fate begins to come under fire, although the Englishman signed an eight-year contract in 2012

Things just continue to get worse for Newcastle United, who suffered yet another defeat over the weekend against Stoke City.

Erik Pieters' fluke goal condemned the Magpies to a fourth consecutive loss and sees them languishing in ninth place with four games left to go.

That is a far cry from a lofty sixth position in December, where they found themselves at following a 5-1 rout of the same opponents, which also left them just three points off a Champions League berth. Since then, they have lost 11 of their subsequent 16 league games and shockingly not scored in any of those losses. A 0-0 draw against Norwich City meant that Newcastle only found the back of the net in their three victories, two of which were by 1-0 margins and the last of which came against struggling Crystal Palace in late March. They also managed to get dumped out of the FA Cup by Cardiff City along the way.

It is no wonder questions have been asked about Alan Pardew's fate as manager, who has incidentally sat out their last six games thanks to a touchline ban for headbutting an opposing player. The Englishman still has one more match to go before he can return to the dugout, but it seems unlikely they can finish any higher than eighth - a disappointing end to what had seemed a decent enough season.

The majority of Goal Singapore readers believe that Pardew should go, with 56.5% indicating that he should be sacked by the club. The remaining 43.5% are however reluctant to blame the manager, believing that the club's slump is not all his fault.

Goal Singapore's Bhas Kunju also believes that Pardew has run out of excuses, but the most prominent obstacle standing in Newcastle's way of sacking him is the eight-year contract they themselves handed out in 2012.

Pardew has vowed to fight on in light of the team's recent troubles, but it remains to be seen whether his future is safe.

Poll of the day

Should Pardew be sacked?

Related