thumbnail Hello,

Gustavo Poyet's men are rooted to the bottom of the table as the Premier League nears its conclusion and time is running out for the Mackems

While the Premier League title race, as well as the one for fourth spot, are both heating up, there is another battle going on at the other end.

Sunderland's 5-1 mauling at the hands of Tottenham left them rooted to the bottom of the table for yet another week, with seven games left for them to save their top-flight status.

Gustavo Poyet's men do have two games in hand on Cardiff City and Fulham, both one and two spots above them respectively, while they trail the former by one point and the latter by two.

However, even that fact isn't enough to convince the majority of Goal Singapore readers that the Mackems will escape the drop, with 63.6% indicating that their run-in is not easy and that they lack the required quality. The remaining 36.4% are more optimistic, believing the two games in hand give them a slight advantage.

Sunderland are certainly running out of time to prevent themselves from dropping down the Premier League trapdoor, but they are still in with a shot. Norwich, who are in 17th, are only seven points clear and even Aston Villa in 13th cannot claim to be completely safe.

With all these sides due to face each other at some point as the league winds down, it will make for an interesting relegation battle to watch.

Poll of the day

Can Sunderland avoid relegation?

Related

From the web