The Spanish striker has been the subject of interest from a few clubs and could leave Stamford Bridge, having not figured much in Jose Mourinho's plans of late
Inter, who have secured the services of Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic for next season, were recently linked with the 29-year-old, although club director Piero Ausilio has indicated that a move for him is unlikely due to high wages.
However, former club Atletico Madrid has now emerged as front-runners to nab Torres, either on loan or permanently in the summer. Torres would serve as an ideal replacement for the highly-coveted Diego Costa, while he is also held in high regard by the fans at Vicente Calderon. There is also interest from Tottenham and Galatasaray.
As earlier reported by Goal, Chelsea will listen to offers for all three of their senior strikers – Torres, Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba – and doubts also surround the future of on-loan forward Romelu Lukaku.
The majority of Goal Singapore readers believe that it is time for Torres to leave Chelsea, with 83.6% reasoning that he should do so for the sake of his career, having not figured much in the plans of manager Jose Mourinho this season. The remaining 16.4%, however, indicate he just needs to be given more opportunities.
Torres has been at the Bridge for the last three-and-a-half years and enjoyed mixed success. While he has won the Champions League and Europa League, he has not reached the free-scoring heights at Liverpool that led the Blues to make a record £50 million move for his services.