thumbnail Hello,

Both S.League sides crashed to opening defeats in their quest for Asian glory, with the Stags in particular getting embarrassed 5-0 by Kitchee SC at home

It has not been a good week for Singapore teams in the AFC Cup, with both Home United and Tampines Rovers falling to opening defeats.

The Protectors started things off with a 1-0 loss in Maldives against New Radiant, where a contentious penalty and red card for goalkeeper Shahril Jantan saw them return home empty-handed.

If that could be chalked down to misfortune in some ways, there was no excusing what happened the next night with the Stags. Completely outclassed by Hong Kong side Kitchee SC, they were humiliated 5-0 at home at the Jalan Besar Stadium in an utterly miserable night.

That represented the heaviest home loss by any Singapore side in all AFC competitions, which led to question marks over the S.League's quality against other leagues in the region.

The majority of Goal Singapore readers have indicated in a poll that Tampines and Home will not improve in subsequent group games, with 80.4% believing that the S.League has lagged behind other teams in the region. The remaining 19.6% were more optimistic, believing that the duo will get better as the season has only just started.

Tampines will have their work cut out to avoid crashing out at the group stages like they did last year, along with Warriors FC. Home will hope to fare better as well, after making it back to the competition following their Singapore Cup win in 2013.

Poll of the day

Will Tampines and Home improve in their subsequent AFC Cup outings?

Related

From the web