thumbnail Hello,
Safuwan in action during Singapore's semi-final loss to Thailand.

Gold matters more, say Goal Singapore readers

Safuwan in action during Singapore's semi-final loss to Thailand.

Getty Images

The Singapore Under-23 boys have the chance to win the SEA Games bronze as they take on Malaysia, but our readers are not particularly concerned about it

Singapore's quest for the SEA Games football gold medal remains an elusive one after the latest attempt ended in failure yet again.

Aide Iskandar's charges fell at the semi-final stage in a 1-0 loss to Thailand on Thursday, which saw their dreams of bringing back the first-ever gold in the tournament go up in smoke.

This leaves them with the chance to at least take the bronze in their third/fourth-placing match tonight against Malaysia, the defending champions who were dumped out on penalties by Indonesia.

However, Goal Singapore readers apper to be more concerned by the fact that Singapore have failed to win the gold, judging from the results of a recent poll.

41.8% indicated that it did not matter when asked whether Singapore would win the bronze, because the colour of the medal would not be gold. A further 32.8% doubted their chances of even securing bronze, believing that they would lose against Malaysia. Only the remaining 25.4% were positive they could at least bring home a medal.

Singapore had done relatively well in the group stages to remain undefeated with two draws and two victories, but ultimately proved no match for Thailand in the semi-finals.

They drew 1-1 with Malaysia in one of those games and will certainly hope for a better result on Saturday night.


Poll of the day

Will Singapore win the SEA Games Bronze medal?

Related

From the web