thumbnail Hello,

The Manchester United youngster was on the receiving end of a stamp by Fulham defender Sascha Riether, prompting manager David Moyes to call for more protection

Manchester United starlet Adnan Januzaj was in the limelight recently not for his silky skills on the pitch, but rather his being a victim in an ugly incident during their weekend match against Fulham.

The 18-year-old was on the receiving end of what appeared to be a deliberate stamp by right-back Sascha Riether after a tussle for the ball had left him on the ground. Although the referee had failed to spot it, the German was charged by the Football Association post-match on grounds of video evidence. Riether also took to Twitter to apologise and indicated he will not contest any sanctions.

The incident led manager David Moyes to call for more protection for Januzaj to prevent him from getting "kicked up and down", and it seems like the majority of Goal Singapore readers are in agreement.

53.3% think that the incident shows Januzaj is being targetted by opposing players because of his ability on the ball, and the youngster could do with more protection from referees. That shaded the other 46.7% who feel that the Belgian-born talent should simply learn to ride the tackles and get on with the game.

Januzaj made his first-team debut this season after impressing with the Reserves last season and during the club's pre-season tour, and is tipped by many to be the next star at Old Trafford.

Poll of the day

Is David Moyes right, should Adnan Januzaj be given protection?

Related

From the web