thumbnail Hello,

The Dutchman is heavily tipped to take over as permanent manager at Old Trafford, despite no official confirmation of a deal so far

Will he or won't he? That is the question surrounding Louis van Gaal, the Netherlands manager who is widely tipped as the next successor to the Manchester United hotseat.

The Dutchman was quickly installed as the favourite to succeed David Moyes when he was sacked, with Ryan Giggs due to hold the fort for one last time as interim manager in their final game against Southampton.

The 62-year-old has undoubted pedigree, having won seven league titles in three countries, in addition to a Champions League victory with Ajax Amsterdam - his total trophy haul stands at 19. Van Gaal also led the Oranje to secure qualification for the 2014 World Cup faster than any other European nation.

However, there are reservations in some quarters over his volatile style and concerns that his tactics might not be suited to English football. Van Gaal will also have to deal with the major task of a squad overhaul for the new season if he is appointed.

We put the question to Goal Singapore readers and slightly over half of them were in favour of Van Gaal, with 53% indicating that he was the right man for Manchester United. In contrast, the other 47% were not convinced that he was the right fit.

Meanwhile, there is no sign of any annoucement, with Van Gaal stating on Thursday morning that he would love to take over at United but that there is no agreement signed yet.

Poll of the day

Is Van Gaal the right man for Man Utd?

Related

From the web