thumbnail Hello,

The Black Cats pulled off a superb victory at Old Trafford to immensely boost their chances of avoiding relegation, with Gustavo Poyet having completely changed their fortunes

Against a somewhat revitalised Manchester United, who were riding on renewed optimism following a 4-0 rout of Norwich City in Ryan Giggs's first interim game in charge, Sunderland were not expected to upset the applecart.

But the Black Cats did exactly that at Old Trafford over the weekend, as Sebastian Larsson's fine first-time finish off Connor Wickham's cross gave them a precious 1-0 victory in their fight to stave off relegation.

With two games left to play, Sunderland are two points clear of 18th-placed Norwich, who have played a game more. A point against West Bromwich Albion next week should seal their safety, unless the Canaries win their last match by a huge scoreline.

It has been a complete turnaround for Gustavo Poyet's men, who were bottom of the table just four games ago. However, a 2-2 draw against Manchester City was then followed by a 2-1 victory over Chelsea, with the latest scalp the third of a remarkable trio of away results against big teams. A 4-0 rout of Cardiff City after beating the Blues at Stamford Bridge also helped to propel them out of the relegation zone.

The majority of Goal Singapore readers are now convinced that Sunderland will avoid the drop, with 88.8% indicating that they should surely be safe now, after tipping them go down just under a month ago. Only the remaining 11.2% still believe they will be relegated.

Indeed, one can hardly blame Poyet for terming recent events a "miracle", with the Uruguayan set to continue management life in the top flight for another season.

Poll of the day

What a result for Sunderland at Old Trafford. Can they pull off the great escape?