thumbnail Hello,

The La Liga side impressively saw off AC Milan's challenge in the Round of 16 and could be one to surprise as the competition enters its latter stages

Flying high in the La Liga currently in second place, Atletico Madrid also appear to be doing decently in Europe as well.

The Los Rojiblancos easily disposed of AC Milan in the second leg of their Champions League Round of 16 second-leg tie on Wednesday morning, running out 4-1 victors at the Vicente Calderon.

That gave them an aggregate 5-1 victory, building on their impressive group stage campaign where they won five and drew the remaining one of their six Group G games to qualify as leaders, 10 points ahead of second-placed Zenit St Petersburg.

While star striker Diego Costa warned after the game that it would be difficult to reach the final, team-mate and goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois was more optimistic.

"Bayern are so strong now - they are winning everything in Germany - but we can play any team now and they will suffer in the Vicente Calderon," the Belgian asserted.

The majority of Goal Singapore readers believe Diego Simeone's side can surprise in the latter stages of the Champions League, with 82.1% tipping them to be the dark horses of this season. The remaining 17.9%, however, believe that the likes of PSG and Galatasaray are more befitting of the tag.

PSG beat Bayer Leverkusen earlier this morning to complete a 6-1 aggregate rout, while Galatasaray travel to Chelsea with hope after a 1-1 draw in the first leg.

Poll of the day

Is Atletico a dark horse in the Champions League?

Related

From the web