thumbnail Hello,

The former AC Milan star has retired from playing to take charge of the club after Massimiliano Allegri was sacked, with the club enduring a dismal season so far

After a poor season by the club's standards, it was to nobody's surprise when AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri was sacked on Monday.

A shock 4-3 capitulation to 17th-placed Sassuolo was the last straw for the San Siro board as they dismissed the man who led them to the 2011 Serie A title.

There were also no eyebrows raised when Clarence Seedorf, as widely expected, was named his successor one day later. The former Milan star retired from his playing career to take the job, having been heavily linked with the post earlier in the season as the club floundered.

"It has been a difficult decision, but I am satisfied with what I have achieved in my career," the 37-year-old, who has been playing for Botafogo since 2012, told reporters in Brazil.

"Milan? We will meet again. This experience of the last year and a half has made me grow up a lot and will help me in my next step, as coach of Milan, who have hired me in both an elegant and correct manner.

"I like challenges and coaching Milan will be another challenge in my career. I couldn't say no to Milan after having spent 10 years there. I'm very happy about the opportunity Milan have given me and I'm very motivated."

With over 400 appearances for Milan in a 10-year spell, Seedorf will be well received but there are those who have questioned his appointment, like club icon Marco van Basten, Zvonimir Boban and Fabio Capello. There are concerns over his coaching credentials, with only limited experience at Boavista Sport Club's Under-17 team, which included Singapore youngster Mahathir Azeman.

Goal Singapore readers appear to believe that Seedorf's appointment is a gamble worth taking, although it was a close call, with 58.1% voting that it was the correct decision. The remaining 41.9% feel that his inexperience will ultimately prove his downfall.

With Milan languishing in 11th place, Seedorf is expected to replace caretaker boss Mauro Tassotti after Wednesday’s Coppa Italia clash against Spezia before taking charge of the match against Verona on Sunday.

Poll of the day

Was appointing Seedorf a right choice by AC Milan?

Related

From the web