The S.League has overturned the results of the recent four matches that involved the Courts Young Lions and awarded all their opponents in the matches a default 3-0 win
|By Khalis Rifhan
Aide Iskandar’s Courts Young Lions were given a shock as the S.League announced that it has overturned the results of all their four matches played so far.
It was found that the Courts Young Lions fielded ineligible players in these four matches and the team’s opponents in each of these four matches will be awarded a 3-0 win.
Young Lions have lost all their matches prior to their encounter with Balestier at Toa Payoh stadium on March 13.
The matches affected include games against against Hougang United FC on February 20, Tampines Rovers FC on February 28, Brunei DPMM FC on March 7 and Balestier Khalsa FC on March 13.
In a statement to the media on Thursday evening, S.League director of operations, Kok Wai Leong said: “Under S.League rules, all players need to fulfill all the necessary registration criteria such as valid local or international transfer certificates, fitness test and medical screenings.”
“However, the small groups of players who are full-time National Servicemen are further required to obtain written approval from their respective relevant authorities. This was not conducted for some of the affected players in Courts Young Lions.”
While this decision meant that Young Lions will be rooted to the bottom of the table, team manager Asadullah Mohd hopes that the fans' support for the team will not wane.
“We sincerely apologise for the administrative oversight on our part and we accept the punishment the S.League management has meted out to us. We appreciate the fans’ support thus far and hope they will continue to support us in the season ahead.”
Meanwhile the episode is not about to end with this latest decision as FAS deputy director of development and planning, Ridzall Saat said: “We are deeply sorry for the admin lapse on the part of our officials and we have taken immediate measures to rectify the problem.”
“We acknowledge the severity of the issue and will be taking internal disciplinary action against officials found to be negligent in their duties.”
In the same statement, S.League said that it has conducted another check on the records of players serving their national service in all other S.League clubs and found that everything is in order. None of the other S.League matches that have been played are affected.