AFC Cup Round 2 wrap-up takes a look at all the action from East Asia zone from Round 2 of the AFC Cup
By Khalis Rifhan

Group E: Churchill Brothers held Semen Padang to a draw in Pune

After an impressive victory in their first match against Warriors FC, Semen Padang of Indonesia were held to a two all draw by India’s Churchill Brothers at the Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Pune.

Hendra Bayauw and Muhammad Rizal scored a goal each to give the Indonesian club the lead going into the half time break, after Sunil Chhetri had earlier opened the account for the host in the 27th minute.

Bikramjit Singh leveled things up 12 minutes after the restart to ensure that the hosts earned their first point in the competition.

Read the match report here.

Group E: 'Hong Kong Barca' in comeback victory as Warriors collapsed
in second half

It was a great start to the game by the eight times S.League champions, taking a two goal lead at the end of the first half courtesy of goals from Tatsuro Inui and Erwan Gunawan

But a dismal performance in the second half saw them torn apart by the visitors as the ‘Hong Kong Barcelona’ side ran out 4-2 winners at the Jalan Besar stadium. 

Jorge Tarres struck twice in the space of six minutes after the half time interval while Lo Kwan Yee and Henry Cheng added a goal each midway through the half, to secure a second successive win for Kitchee, after their opening day victory over Churchill Brothers.

Read the match report and post-match reactions.

Group F: Persibo Bojonegro humiliated by New Radiant on home turf

New Radiant of Maldives top the group after recording their biggest win in the competition, a 7-0 drubbing of Persibo at the Manahan stadium in Surakarta. 

Mohamed Umair and Ali Umar scored in the 11th and 66th minute respectively while Maldives international Ali Ashfaq went on a rampage – scoring five goals – one in the first half and the rest after the half time break.

After their defeat, coach Gusnul Yakin was clearly not a happy figure and acknowledged the gap in experience between the two teams. 

“I regret this, it is very humiliating. But we have to admit that our players’ quality is very low. They do not have experience playing in the Indonesia Super League or the Premier League.”

“A few of them are amateur players and we only have one goalkeeper in this competition.”

Group F: Yangon United cruised past Sun Hai with ease

Sun Hei is still without a win as they suffered yet another defeat, this time a 3-1 loss to Yangon United of Myanmar.

Adama Kone scored barely three minutes into the match as he was allowed acres of space to venture into the box and the striker made no mistake with his attempt to give his side the lead. 

But the game was back to square one in the 20th minute as Yeung Chi Lun headed in the equaliser from a corner kick.

It was all Yangon after the half time break as they added two more goals to register maximum points in the two games played so far. 

Cezar Augusto first attempt was denied by Zhang Chun Hui but the ball was not properly cleared and the Brazilian got to the end of the loose ball and slammed it home to make it 2-1 up for Yangon in the fifty third minute.

Yangon put the game beyond Sun Hei’s reach in the dying seconds as Aung Moe added a third in the seventh minute of injury time.

Group G: Kelantan FA condemned Ayeyawady United to bottom of table

Reigning Malaysian Super League champions Kelantan collected maximum points against Ayeyawady United at Thuwunna stadium in Yangon. 

Captain Badhri Radzi gave the visitors the lead barely three minutes into the match while Australian Under-23 international Dimitrios Petratos added a brace in the second half.

Slovakian Dominik Bersnjak grabbed a goal for the host twelve minutes from time but it was merely a consolation as the visitor hang on to their lead and condemn Ayeyawady to their second consecutive loss.

Group G: SHB Da Nang leave it late against Maziya

Vietnamese side SHB Da Nang maintained their spot at the top of the group after leaving it late against Maldives side Maziya at the Galolhu National stadium in Male. 

Abdulla Asadhulla gave the hosts the lead a minute after the half hour mark before David Mrwanda equalised nine minutes after the restart. Captain Gaston Merlo gave the visitors the lead in the in the 66th minute of the match.

Although Maziya’s Nashid Ahmed struck nine minutes from time, the 3,500 fans were silenced when Vietnam international Nguyen Minh Phuong scored the match winner in injury time.

Group H: Sai Gon tops the group despite goalless draw with East Bengal

The match between Sai Gon and East Bengal ended in a goalless draw, much to the frustration of the 5000 fans at the Thong Nhat stadium in Ho Chi Minh City. 

There were several scares in the match but the finishing was not clinical enough.

Sai Gon was left to take pot shots from long range as the visitors kept their defence tight and compact at the back. Trong Phi’s effort in the seventh minutes flew agonisingly over the bar while Duch Linch header in the 28th minute went inches off the post. 

East Bengal’s best chance in the game fell to Nigerian Penn Orji who did well to shake off his markers and venture into the box but his shot was way off the target.

The second half was as disappointing as the first with few chances created and both sides had to be content with a point each.

Read full match report.

Group H: Six goal thriller at Shah Alam stadium

Fans at the Shah Alam stadium witnessed a ping-pong match as Tampines Rovers equalised to every lead that was taken by Selangor.

Francis Forkey Doe opened the scoring in the ninth minutes before Aleksandar Duric pulled a goal back for the visitors midway through the first half. 

Malaysia international Amri Yahyah gave the hosts the lead a minute after the restart but things were leveled two minutes later as Imran Sahib volleyed in their second goal of the night.

The Red Giants wer awarded a penalty five minutes after the Stags equaliser and Doe duly converted from the spot to give his side a 3-2 lead. 

But there was time for one more goal as Japanese defender Kunihiro Yamashita rose above the rest to head to the back of the net from a Shaiful Esah corner kick 18 minutes from time.

Read the full match report and post-match reactions.