thumbnail Hello,

It was a contentious ending to the match as tensions between the players almost escalated into a free-for-all after a 1-1 draw in the crunch Malaysian Super League clash

It was not a perfect ending to the Malaysian Super League (MSL) encounter between Perak FA and LionsXII in Ipoh on Tuesday night after the match ended in a melee involving both teams.

Deep into second-half injury time, LionsXII defender Safuwan Baharudin was not pleased with a tackle from substitute S. Chanturu. The former then confronted the latter, with several other players from both sides joining in the tangle as well. 

Even though the match officials and staff from both benches managed to separate the players, there were still some who were hurling words at each other and it took a few minutes before the situation was finally brought under control.

But the nightmare was not yet over for the LionsXII and the traveling fans, as the home supporters had gathered near the exit from which both the away team and their fans were supposed to take their leave. 

The home fans were unhappy that their goal six minutes into the second half was ruled out for offside, and that they were also denied a penalty when Safuwan inadvertently handled the ball in the box during the final minutes of the game.

Thankfully for the Singapore outfit, security personnel were present to shield them from any unwanted incidents that could have arose as they walked towards their team bus. 

However, frustrated LionsXII fans were made to wait for more than 45 minutes after the match had ended before they were allowed to take their leave.

According to a fan that had travelled up north to witness the match, several home fans tried to get their hands on the LionsXII faithful but thankfully they were swiftly brought away by the security personnel. 

“We only exited the stadium near to midnight as the Ultras had gathered outside the exit and jeered at us as we made our way out of the stadium,” said the LionsXII fan to Goal Singapore.

“Some of them tried to get physical and three of them were taken away by the police and securities there.

“Thankfully, no one was injured from this incident.”

LionsXII reserve goalkeeper Khairulhin Khalid, who was also spotted in the thick of action during the altercation, tweeted the following after the match. 

“Hi guys, we are all safe in the hotel room," he posted.

"Hopefully nothing happens to any of our fans in the stadium. See you in JBS on the 2nd! [July against Felda United]!"

LionsXII will next host relegation-threatened Felda on July 2 at the Jalan Besar Stadium and a win will see them being crowned the 2013 MSL champions.