thumbnail Hello,

French moneybags Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly set to pay £40 million for the Chelsea centre-back, which will make the Brazilian the world's most expensive defender

With much speculation surrounding in future in recent weeks, it was finally revealed on Saturday that David Luiz will join Paris Saint-Germain.

While it was not surprising that the Brazilian centre-back was leaving Chelsea, having only started 15 games under new manager Jose Mourinho, it was the amount of the transfer fee that had many football fans wondering whether it was worth it.

The deal between PSG and the Blues is understood to be worth at least £40 million, which will be a world-record fee for a defender. It will also represent a great deal for Chelsea, who bought Luiz from Benfica in January 2011 for £21.3m.

Understandably, the enormous price tage has generated discussion and debate on whether PSG are paying over the odds. Goal Singapore readers have weighed in on the issue, with a majority 77.9% indicating that it Luiz was not worth it, believing that he was not even the best defender at Stamford Bridge, let alone Europe and the world. Only the remaining 22.1% feel the fee is justified.

Luiz, who will feature in the upcoming World Cup, has already expressed his sadness at leaving the club, although he is also looking forward to the PSG move.

Poll of the day

Is David Luiz worth PSG paying £40 million for?

Related