The Italian legend has been targeted by PTT Rayong for a sensational swoop, but the A-League side has come out to dismiss speculation of such a transfer
Goal reported back in November last year that Thai Premier League (TPL) side PTT Rayong were in the hunt for the Italian superstar as they looked to make a sensational debut in the 2014 top-flight season. On Monday, Goal then caught up with club coach Peter Withe, who stated that it was "up to Mr. Del Piero whether he signs the deal or not".
However, Sydney CEO Tony Pignata has dismissed talk of Del Piero leaving.
"I don't like commenting on speculation because that is all it is right now," he told AAP on Tuesday.
"At the moment, he is contracted until the end of the season. We will discuss his future when the time is right."
The A-League side's chairman, Steve Barlow, also asserted that there are plans to discuss the player's future in the coming days.
''I'm due to sit down with Alessandro over the coming fortnight and begin a discussion about his future with him - as we always agreed we would - before the end of January.," he told Fairfax Media.According to AFP, Rayong manager Prawut Thavornsiri has confirmed an attempt to sign Del Piero, with the 39-year-old's agent and brother reportedly set to meet with club representatives in Brazil this week.
"We have sent him a letter to ask what conditions - including details of his salary - he would want if he came here to play," Thavornsiri said.
"We sent the letter two days ago and Del Piero said he needed a few days for consideration ... I think it's 60 per cent possibility [that he will join]."
Newly-promoted Rayong, who are owned by the PTT Group, the wealthiest company in Thailand, are keen to bolster their squad ahead of the new TPL campaign and Del Piero would make an ideal marquee signing.