By Yanick Vos
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar says he does not blame himself for his lack of regular playing time with Netherlands at major tournaments over the past few years.
The Schalke forward had to settle for a spot on the substitutes' bench both at the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, but he is desperate to move on and leave the sour memories behind him.
"You can play at four or five big tournaments throughout your career, but I have yet to really play at one." Huntelaar told Goal.com.
"I told [Bert] van Marwijk how I feel about everything. I just want to move on now. I don't have any regrets and don't blame myself for anything. A lot of nonsense has been written and said.
"I tried not to let all the criticism affect me, but it obviously does not go unnoticed. It takes time to move on after such a disappointing tournament.
"I have already shrugged it off, but you still think about it every now and then."
Huntelaar then looked ahead to the future and was highlighted the need for focus on the 2014 World Cup, along with the prospect of working under new coach Louis van Gaal.
"We have to make a fresh start again and turn our focus to the World Cup in Brazil," he added.
"I already worked with Van Gaal before at the Under-20 team back in 2001. He hasn't changed much as a coach since. He really stands out."
Netherlands take on Belgium on Wednesday in their first game since the European Championship earlier in the summer.