SPL Round 25 Results: Celtic better second-placed Inverness & Kilmarnock defeat nine-man Motherwell

Dundee United handed Jackie McNamara his second win in a row, while neighbours Dundee continue to be marooned at the bottom as their winless streak stretched to 11

Round 25 Results

A controversial Paul Lawson strike and an injury-time effort from Gary Glen saw Dundee remain rooted at the bottom of the SPL as Ross County left with all three points on Friday night.

The Dens Park side have now gone 11 games without a win in the league and are widely tipped for relegation come the end of the season.

Ross County had the only real chance of the first half when a Grant Munro effort from the edge of the area was palmed away by Rab Douglas while the home side had shouts for a penalty turned down when Jim McAllister’s strike appeared to hit the arm of Scott Boyd.

The away side’s opener came with 10 minutes remaining as Lawson picked up the ball on the edge of the area and unleashed a strike which cannoned off the underside of the bar and back out, but the assistant referee signalled that the ball had crossed the line.

Victory was secured for the Highland side when Glen latched onto the end of a long ball, beating the onrushing Douglas, before tapping the ball into an empty net.


Aberdeen failed to claim victory for the fifth time on the trot in the SPL, as Craig Brown’s side played out a goalless draw with St Mirren.

In a largely uninspiring showing from either team, the Pittodrie side had the first effort of the game in the second half, as Jonny Hayes saw his weak effort easily smothered by Craig Samson.

St Mirren then mustered a hint of attacking threat, but Gary Teale failed to direct his effort on target to trouble Jamie Langfield in the Dons goal.

Things got worse for the home side when Mark Reynolds received a second yellow card for a handball, reducing the seventh-placed side to 10 men.

Paul McGowan had a chance to steal all three points for the visitors late on, but his effort was impressively saved by Langfield for a share of the spoils.


Dundee United made it two wins in a row under new boss Jackie McNamara, sealing a comfortable victory over Hearts.

After scoring within 15 seconds against Rangers last week, Johnny Russell took just an additional minute to break the deadlock this time around with a superb turn and hit into the back of the net.

Hearts woes continued as skipper Marius Zaliukas went off injured under a challenge from Russell, with Darren Barr his replacement.

But they should have levelled when on-loan Liverpool striker Michael Ngoo saw an effort cannon off of the Dundee United bar.

Things then got even worse for Hearts as Ryan Stevenson was also dismissed, in controversial fashion, for a challenge on Gary Mackay-Steven.

McNamara’s side doubled their lead when Willo Flood played a one-two with Russell before rifling the ball beyond Jamie MacDonald.

Then, after hitting the woodwork once again, Ngoo finally got his goal after beating helpless Radoslaw Cierzniak with a powerful effort from the edge of the area.

And the victory was sealed late on as Jon Daly crossed from the left wing for Michael Gardyne to slot home.


Nine-man Motherwell lost their third away game in a row as they left Ayrshire empty-handed against Kilmarnock.

Despite having enjoyed the majority of possession, Stuart McCall’s side found themselves a goal down after 13 minutes as Ross Barbour’s long-range effort deflected off Steven Hammell and into the back of the net.

The Fir Park side had all the chances for the remaining half an hour, with Keith Lasley, Shaun Hutchinson, Simon Ramsden and Hammell all trying their luck, but Kyle Letheren - who was deputising for regular Killie stopper Cammy Bell - saw his side’s lead remain intact heading into the break.

Midway through the second half, Kilmarnock grabbed their second of the game as William Gros rose superbly to meet a James Dayton cross and head the ball beyond Motherwell keeper Darren Randolph.

The Steelmen saw two players receive their marching orders in the closing stages as Lasley and substitute Fraser Kerr were shown straight red cards for different challenges on Dayton.