SPL Round 19 Results: Inverness CT climb into second as Celtic extend their lead with Ross County rout

St Mirren have some breathing room at the bottom after defeating Motherwell while Niall McGinn’s double helps Aberdeen return to winning ways at home to St Johnstone

Round 19 Results

St Mirren striker Stephen Thompson helped ease the Paisley side’s relegation worries with a double to secure victory over Motherwell.

The Steelmen had gone into the Friday night fixture knowing that a victory would have seen them close the gap on league leaders Celtic to just one point.

Both goals came in the final eight minutes of the first half, as Marc McAusland played the ball to Jon Robertson on the right-hand side and the Buddies midfielder found Thompson inside the box, who showed good composure to bury a shot past Darren Randolph in the Motherwell goal.

Moments later Thompson grabbed his second goal of the game, as he rose above the Motherwell defence to power home a deep cross from the right wing by Gary Teale in order to put his side two goals ahead at the break.

Stuart McCall’s men got a goal back late on as Henrik Ojamaa raced down the left before crossing for Bob McHugh, who slammed the ball off the bar and into the net past Craig Samson.

The Lanarkshire side continued to pile on the pressure for the remaining minutes of the game, but they failed to find a valuable equaliser.


A double from Niall McGinn helped Aberdeen claim their first home league win in four attempts and push them back into the top four.

The defeat for the Perth side sees them fail to win in the SPL for the fourth game in a row and drop down to sixth in the table.

St Johnstone had a superb chance to take the lead in the first half, but Frazer Wright scooped his chance over Jason Brown’s bar in the Dons goal.

The opening goal came just after the hour mark when Callum Davidson gave away a free kick by fouling Josh Magennis. McGinn stepped up and curled the ball beyond fellow Northern Irishman Allan Mannus for the first of the game.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, the three points were secured as substitute Jamie Masson found McGinn inside the St Johnstone area to fire the ball home from close range.


Inverness CT jumped into second place as a double from Billy McKay, along with strikes from Owain Tudur Jones and Andrew Shinnie, saw the Highland side humble Dundee.

The defeat leaves Barry Smith’s men rooted to the foot of the table, six points behind second-bottom Ross County, as they prepare for the visit of Celtic on Boxing Day.

The opener came when Declan Gallagher was adjudged to have brought down McKay inside the box after a Richie Foran strike, allowing the Inverness striker to step up and fire home the resulting penalty.

Dundee managed to get back on level terms as John Baird fed in Nicky Reilly to finish low into the bottom corner past Antonio Reguero.

Five minutes later Inverness once again restored their advantage as Foran found Tudur Jones on the edge of the area and his stunning long-range effort easily beat Dundee keeper Rab Douglas as it nestled in the back of the net.

Just after the break Inverness made it three as a poor defensive pass allowed McKay to round Douglas. The keeper managed to get a foot to the ball but that did not stop the striker from converting at the second attempt.

The fourth goal came with 15 minutes remaining as Graeme Shinnie raced down the left wing, before playing in his brother Andrew Shinnie to cut inside the Dundee defence and slam the ball home to complete the rout.