thumbnail Hello,

Super League

  • January 28, 2014
  • • 20:45
  • • Stadium Sarawak, Kuching

Sarawak seal dominant win over Sime Darby

Sarawak seal dominant win over Sime Darby

Abi Yazid

The Crocs didn't disappoint the home crowd twice in a row with a solid performance against the visitors, gaining their first Malaysia Super League points of the season

Gabor Gyepes was the stand out player for Sarawak FA as they won their first league game against Sime Darby FC 3-0.

The home fans almost had an early goal to celebrate in the fifth minute winger, when Zamri Morshidi struck wide by just a few inches after a wonderful through ball by Junior Edstal.

Five minutes later, Sarawak were gifted a penalty after Juzaili Samion was caught deliberately handling the ball after wonderful work by Joseph Kalang Tie. The captain stepped forward to take the penalty and converted it too, giving the lead to Sarawak.

Sarawak custodian Sani Anuar Kamsani was finally tested on two occasions, first in the 13th minute when Farid Ramli took a free kick and then in the 27th minute after a strike from Mohd Firdaus after he had displayed some brilliant individual skills, but was equal to the challenge on both occasions.

In the second half, an incident in the 47th minute saw the Crocs awarded another penalty after Juzali Samion tackled Zamri Morshidi inside the box. Gypes, who had been excellent in the first half, capped his performance by converting the penalty to put Sarawak two goals up.

It was all Sarawak after the second goal as they kept the majority of possession. Gyepes continued to impress, getting around the pitch well and seemingly popping up wherever the ball was.

In the 65th minute Sarawak were given a free-kick 20 yards out and import player Milorad Janjus did not disappoint the fans as he dispatched it, scoring his first goal for Sarawak.

It was game over for Sime Darby in the 82th minute when Samion and Fahrul Razi Kamaruddin were given red cards for sarcastically lauding the referee.

Despite Sime Darby having only nine players on the field, they still looked to attack from any position possible but were unable to surpass the wall of Gyepes, who remained calm at the back.

In the end Sarawak, who had more than 65 per cent possession throughout the game, notched a priceless win to finally get their league campaign up and running.