thumbnail Hello,

Super League

  • June 25, 2014
  • • 20:45
  • • Stadium Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah, Kuala Terengganu

Faris strikes to hand LionsXII winning end to MSL campaign

Faris strikes to hand LionsXII winning end to MSL campaign


The winger curled in a good finish in the second half to give his team a slender 1-0 victory against 10-men T-Team FC, who were relegated with the result

Having won just once in their last eight games, the LionsXII entered their final Malaysia Super League game against T-Team FC on Wednesday evening desperate for victory.

In the end, they got what they wanted as Faris Ramli struck near the hour mark to give them a slender 1-0 victory, with the result relegated the Titans as well.

Both teams entered the match knowing the possible danger of falling into the relegation zone, with the Singapore side needing at least a draw to secure their place in the Malaysia Cup, while the hosts had to win to guarantee their safety.

The LionsXII started out strong, with Zulfahmi Ariffin’s free-kick in the third minute falling to Baihakki Khaizan near the edge of the box, only for the experienced defender to blast over.

Sufian Anwar was then brought down by Goran Subara near the corner flag shortly after, giving Zulfahmi another chance to whip in a good delivery. The Lions have missed his precision from the deadball and although the delivery was good enough, nothing came in the end as T-team cleared the threat.

Both teams were struggling to hold possession and struggling to create chances, with the best one falling to T-Team striker Jimmy Mulisa when he failed to beat goalkeeper Izwan Mahbud when sent clear, as the latter made a great block.

Patrich Wanggai played it for the camera with a spectacular overhead kick in the 40th minute, but his shot was easily saved by Izwan as the half ened goal-less.

The Lions picked up their game after the break, placing more pressure on the home side and they were handed a big advantage when T-Team custodian Sharil Sha’ari received a straight red in the 54th minute.

The custodian had rushed out of his area to try and beat Sufian Anuar to a long ball, but only succeeded in barging into the striker outside the box and the referee had no hesistation in sending him off.

The breakthrough arrived soon after on 66 minutes. Sufian did well to shield the ball on the right of the box before picking out Khairul Amri in the centre, who cleverly slid the pass to Faris on the left. The winger calmly curled in a perfect finish into the far corner for his fifth of the season.

Just minutes later, Nazrul Nazari appeared to have been hit in the face inadvertently by Subara, causing a bit of a fracas, but fortunately the clash did not escalate.

Four minutes of extra time was added but T-Team could not find the goal they needed to avoid relegation, while the LionsXII avoided the play-offs for the Malaysia Cup and finished off the campaign with some cheer by taking home three points.