thumbnail Hello,


  • October 12, 2013
  • • 03:00
  • • Stade d'Agadir, Agadir
  • Referee: S. Belkhaouas
  • • Attendance: 44000

Morocco 1-1 South Africa: Rantie hands Bafana draw away

Morocco 1-1 South Africa: Rantie hands Bafana draw away


South Africa picked up an impressive draw away to 2015 Afcon hosts Morocco

South Africa had a brighter start to the first half with two quick shots at goal in the opening five minutes, one from returnee Daylon Claasen in the second minute.

Itumeleng Khune was forced to make a brilliant save down to his right in the 6th minute, and the Bafana shot-stopper had to punch the Moroccan’s cross into the box away, although the whistle had already gone against the home side.

Bafana caught Morocco with a counter attack in the 9th minute and it was Tokelo Rantie who outpaced the Morocco defence before scoring with a sublime finish to put Bafana in front.

Morocco won a free-kick in a dangerous area, but the Bafana wall did well to block it away to safety as Bafana continued to hold on to their lead.

The visitors won a free-kick outside the Morocco box in the 27th minute, but Lerato Chabangu’s free-kick was easily saved by the Morocco keeper Amsif.

Benaita brought the best out of Khune in the 35th minute as he unleashed a thunderbolt from range, but the Bafana number one parried for a corner.

Vilakazi then got a chance in the 41st minute, but his shot from inside the Moroccan area saw Amsif brilliantly parry for a corner.

No clear-cut chances were created in the final five minutes of the first half as Bafana did well to protect their slim lead going into the second half.

The Moroccans didn’t waste time to get themselves back into the game as they grabbed the equalizer on 50 minutes, and it was Issam El Adoua who headed past Khune from a free-kick.

Bafana got a chance inside the Moroccan box after Claasen picked Parker inside the box, but the Chiefs man was isolated and therefore lost possession rather cheaply in the 62nd minute.

El Kaddouri should have done better in the 78th minute having created space for himself inside the Bafana box, but the Moroccan midfielder’s shot was wide of Khune’s goal.

Ayanda Patosi combined with another substitute Kermit Erasmus with four minutes to go, but the Pirates man had a heavy touch on it as it evaded Patosi for Amasif to restart.

In the end both South Africa and Morocco could not finish the game off, and they both should be happy to have settled for a 1-1 draw.