thumbnail Hello,


  • May 23, 2012
  • • 21:25
  • • Stadium Sultan Mohammad IV, Kota Bharu
  • Referee: Yousef Al Marzouq
  • • Attendance: 18652

Kelantan 3-2 Terengganu: 10-men Kelantan advance to the quarter-final of the AFC Cup

Kelantan 3-2 Terengganu: 10-men Kelantan advance to the quarter-final of the AFC Cup

Football Association of Singapore

Mohd Norfarhan strikes a brace to give Kelantan a thrilling 3-2 win over neighbors Terengganu in a rain soaked encounter

The game was postponed for 45 minutes due to heavy rain but the home crowd refused to leave their seats, eager to witness another Kelantan win. Truly enough, the Red Warriors came out all guns blazing and took the lead as early as the second minute when Dennis Antwe slid in a cross for the on-rushing Norfarhan to slide home the opening goal.

Kelantan built on their early lead and Nwoha tested Sharbinee with a 20-yard effort which the keeper did well to palm away. But he was at fault minutes later, spilling a Norfarhan header which the midfielder stabbed home at the second attempt to notch his brace and give Kelantan a 2-0 advantage.

Terengganu were struggling to create chances on a soggy pitch as Kelantan were all over the Turtles by now. Forkey Doe was then yellow carded by the referee for lashing out at Rizal Fahmi as the visitors begin to show frustration for not having enough possession.

Kelantan went 3-0 ahead on the stroke of half-time as Rizal Fahmi blasted home an unstoppable 25 yard free-kick beyond the despairing dive of Sharbinee as the Red Warriors looked to have all but seal the game.

The Turtles emerged a different side in the second half and immediately tested Kahirul Fahmi through Joseph Kallang Tie’s free-kick which the keeper did just enough to claw away.

Terengganu’s pressure paid off moments later as Ismail Faruqi bent a beautiful curling effort past Khairul Fahmi to reduce the deficit.

The Turtles were given real hope in the 84th minute when Obinna conceded a penalty after hacking down Abdul Hadi Yahya. The defender also received a red card for his offense as he was the last man. Forkey Doe stepped up and converted with ease as Kelantan were forced to defend their slender lead with ten men in the closing stages.

Terengganu threw bodies forward to seek an equalizer and force the match into extra-time but Kelantan hung on desperately to claim yet another priceless victory.

The win sees Kelantan advance to the quarter-final of the AFC Cup tournament as Terengganu were left to ponder a toothless first-half performance which cost them dear.