Pirates and Chiefs will lock horns for a second time this season in the first leg of their MTN 8 semi-final on Saturday
Gaxa, Mathoho, Mashaimaite, Masilela
Tshabalala, Katsande, Yeye, Lebese
Jele, Lekgwathi, Sangweni, Matlaba
Klate, Manyisa, Jali, Segolela
Chiefs hold the edge over their Soweto rivals after proving their credentials as PSL champions with a 1-0 win against the Buccaneers in the Black Label Cup. Chiefs also have a slightly better record in their last five cup meetings against Pirates, with three wins to their name.
AmaKhosi have had ample time to prepare for the match, while Pirates may have to contend with the fatigue factor due to their involvement in the Caf Champions League.
Both sides have promised that the game will be an exciting affair, after recent Soweto Derbies failed to reach expectations.
Pirates will be without the injured duo of Reneilwe Letsholonyane and Thandani Ntshumayelo, but may welcome back Siyabonga Sangweni into the starting lineup as the important central defender has recovered from a long standing injury.
The Buccaneers are currently waiting on the fitness of Andile Jali, who will train on Friday to determine whether or not he is ready for the match.
Keegan Ritchie and Siyabonga Nkosi have both returned to full training for Chiefs and will be available for the clash in the FNB Stadium.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Pirates have never lost against Chiefs in the MTN 8, after defeating their rivals 2-1 on aggregate in 2010 and winning the final of the competition against AmaKhosi 1-0 a year later.
- Kaizer Chiefs have the upper hand in their last 19 cup matches against the Buccaneers, winning eight times compared to Pirates' six triumphs. Five of the matches have been drawn.
- Chiefs have won the Top 8 Cup 14 times, while Pirates have claimed the trophy nine times.
- Pirates have been in hot form in the Caf Champions League, defeating Egyptian Giants Al Ahly and Zamalek.
- Chiefs dominated Pretoria University during their 3-0 win in the quarter-final stage of the tournament, while Pirates scraped through against SuperSport United after a penalty shootout.