thumbnail Hello,


  • July 12, 2012
  • • 19:45
  • • Jalan Besar Stadium, Singapore
  • Referee: A. Bin Abdul Bashir

Singapore Armed Forces FC 3-0 Home United: Warriors tear into lacklustre Protectors

Singapore Armed Forces FC 3-0 Home United: Warriors tear into lacklustre Protectors

Zeng Liwei

The two rivals met for the third time in a week with Richard Bok's men coming out on top yet again

SAF FC sparked life back to their league campaign with a comprehensive 3-0 win over a lacklustre Home United side.

The two teams had met only three days earlier with SAF sealing progress to the semi-finals of the Singapore Cup after a dominant performance over their arch-rivals over two legs.

SAF, playing without coach Richard Bok present, piled more misery on to the 2011 Singapore Cup holders at Jalan Besar Stadium on Thursday night as they comfortably held off the Protectors.

Home also to contend with the sending off of Franklin Anzite 12 minutes from the final whistle though the scoreline was all but settled by then.

It took just four minutes for the Warriors to break the deadlock. Shimpei Sakurada opened the scoring with a stunning 30-yard drive that gave Nazri Sabri absolutely no chance. The former Albirex player struck a clean first time effort that was out of reach for the fully stretched Protectors custodian and licked the roof of the net.

Home sputtered back to life after the early setback. Shi Jiayi struck a freekick on 20 minutes that was heading towards the top right corner of Shahril Jantan’s goal, but lacked pace and was easily snatched by the former national goalkeeper.

Anzite then had a downward header from close range that just cleared the crossbar at the half-hour mark.

SAF proved to be relentless however, and looked threatening even from long range. Nazri had to palm away Tatsuro Inui’s drive toward the near post shortly after Anzite's effort.

Mislav Karoglan also had a swerving left-footed drive from almost the exact same spot that Sakurada scored from but it whizzed just past the framework.

Two minutes before the break Fazrul Nawaz doubled his side’s lead. Shukor Zainal’s long pass was misjudged by Anzite who was closed down well by Fazrul. The Singapore forward managed to jink his way past the towering defender and slot the ball past Nazri from close range.

Despite a desperate attempt of pushing Anzite up front for the second half, there was little more that Home could do.

At the 65th minute Aliff Shafaein grabbed his first goal for SAF, latching on to a Fazrul Nawaz pass before firing past Nazri from the edge of the penalty box.

Just minutes later Inui almost made it four with a curling shot from the edge of the box that came off the crossbar

Anzite then added further woe to his side, receiving a red card on 78 minutes for headbutting Shahril Jantan, who also got booked for his part in the scuffle after the Home player had blocked him.

With seconds left to go before the start of the three minutes of added time, V.Selvaraj brought on former national goalkeeper, Rezal Hassan in place of Shahril. The 37-year-old had retired almost two years ago and was given a warm reception for his surprise return, but had little to do as the clock ran down and SAF sealed a vital win over Home.