thumbnail Hello,


  • June 27, 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • Bishan Stadium, Singapore
  • Referee: A. Bin Abdul Bashir

Jaguars rescue draw against dominant Protectors

Jaguars rescue draw against dominant Protectors

Muhammad Farhan

The hosts controlled large parts of the game but failed to build on a one-goal lead and eventually succumbed to an equaliser after the visitors staged a rally late on

A late rally from Tanjong Pagar United saw them salvage a point in a 1-1 draw against Home United on Thursday night, which helped them to stay third in the S.League table.

Ismael Benahmed poached a 84th minute goal to cancel out Firdaus Idros’s opener, as the Protectors paid for not taking advantage of a host of first-half opportunities.

The game did not get off to a good start for Home defender Ismail Yunos, who had to be stretchered off barely 20 seconds into the game after appearing to have been knocked out cold.

Masrezwan Masturi came on to replace him but that did not deter the hosts from getting into their attacking stride. Jaguars custodian Aurelien Herisson got down smartly to push behind Sirina Camara’s freekick in the 5th minute, before Song Uiyoung dragged a shot wide four minutes later.

Jordan Webb was next to have a pop from the left, but Herisson again made a fine save as the Protectors pushed for the early goal.

The visitors only fashioned their first real chance in the 23rd minute as Hafiz Nor hit a weak volley at goalkeeper Shahril Jantan after Monsef Zerka had flicked on a cross.

The Jaguars were finding it hard to keep the ball as Home largely dominated possession and Herisson was called into action again near the half-time interval, denying Lee Kwan Woo after the Korean had slalomed his way past two players into the box.

Former Home midfielder John Wilkinson then tested Shahril with a rasping 30-yard drive, as the half came to a goalless conclusion.

The second half resumed with Home still having the upper hand and Lee came close nine minutes after the restart with a 30-yard freekick that required a flying save from Herisson.

The French custodian was finally beaten near the half-hour mark.

Song picked out the run of Firdaus Idros with a lovely chipped ball into the box and the winger calmly poked it past Herisson, who failed to keep it out despite getting a palm to it.

The visitors rallied, with Walid Lounis heading a corner narrowly wide before Benahmed forced a fine block from Shahril.

And the pressure paid off six minutes from time as Asraf Rashid’s skidding low cross from the left ran all the way through to the far post, where Benahmed slid in to convert for the equaliser.

Despite some late pressure from Home, there was no winning goal as they shared the spoils with Tanjong Pagar to remain a point behind their opponents in fourth position.