thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • September 20, 2014
  • • 22:00
  • • Turf Moor, Burnley
  • Referee: A. Taylor
  • • Attendance: 20026

Burnley 0-0 Sunderland: All square in low-quality clash

Burnley 0-0 Sunderland: All square in low-quality clash

Getty Images

The two sides, both ailing at the foot of the table, struggled for chances in Saturday's clash and will have to wait a little longer to earn their first win of the campaign

Burnley and Sunderland remain without a Premier League win this season after a cagey 0-0 draw at Turf Moor on Saturday afternoon.

Both sides will have viewed the clash as a prime opportunity to claim maximum points for the first time this term, but a closely fought encounter lacked any genuine quality in the final third as promising positions went to waste at both ends.

Marvin Sordell, replacing the injured Danny Ings in the starting line-up for Burnley, spurned the best opportunity of the game in the fifth minute, while substitute Ashley Barnes saw a deflected effort come back off the crossbar with three minutes remaining.

By Kristan Heneage
As the full-time whistle went at Turf Moor both Sean Dyche and Gus Poyet were left with plenty to ponder. A largely sedate encounter between Burnley and Sunderland, brightened only by a late flurry of activity and rattled crossbars, extended the two sides’ wait for a win in the Premier League.

Goals are in short supply for both teams, with Connor Wickham once again blunt in attack for the Black Cats, while last season’s Championship runners-up have fired blanks in each of their last five outings in all competitions. Huge improvements are needed, particularly offensively, or the two clubs will be in a relegation dog fight by the time they next meet.
There was another close call in the first minute of stoppage time as Tom Heaton brilliantly tipped Patrick van Aanholt's thumping drive onto the post.

It was a third consecutive goalless draw for Sean Dyche's men, who have now gone five matches in all competitions without finding the net.

For Sunderland, a fourth draw in five league outings this season means Gus Poyet's side remain at the wrong end of the early Premier League table, a point better off than their opponents.

Burnley did at least climb out of the bottom three with this result, but their lack of potency in front of goal may continue to worry Dyche.

Sordell came in for Ings in the hosts' only change, and the former Bolton Wanderers man ought to have put Burnley ahead when he missed his kick from close range after being teed up by Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Emanuele Giaccherini, replacing Ricky Alvarez, represented Sunderland's solitary alteration from the 2-2 draw with Tottenham, and the Italy international tested Heaton with a firm shot in the 11th minute.

Burnley's David Jones had the next opening in the 19th minute but the midfielder fired straight at Vito Mannone from just inside the area after exchanging passes with George Boyd.

Santiago Vergini flicked a header narrowly wide and Connor Wickham - appearing at Turf Moor for his third different club this year - shot at Heaton as the visitors established a foothold on proceedings.

Heaton was forced to gather Jack Rodwell's strike from distance at the second attempt after the interval, and only Jason Shackell's last-ditch interception denied the former Manchester City man from converting Giaccherini's cut-back in the 55th minute.

Wickham fired narrowly wide from 20 yards nine minutes later as Sunderland began to make inroads, although Mannone had to be alert to keep out Scott Arfield's low cross at his near post soon afterwards.

Jones played in Jutkiewicz in the 77th minute but the striker, after a slight shirt tug from John O'Shea, shot too close to Mannone, who was able to palm away to safety.

Right at the death, Barnes' strike took a wicked deflection and looped over a stranded Mannone only to bounce off the bar, before Heaton and the woodwork denied Van Aanholt as both sides were forced to settle for a point.