Having met less than a week ago in a PSL encounter, Mamelodi Sundowns travel to the Athlone Stadium to face Ajax Cape Town in the opening round of the 2014 Nedbank Cup
|AJAX CAPE TOWN
Hlathswayo, Krjauklis, Isaacs, Lolo
Dolly, Alexander, Scott, Jenniker
Moon, Nthethe, Schut, Mashaba
Zungu, Kekana, Modise, Billiat
Mamelodi Sundowns and Ajax Cape Town will do battle in a repeat of last year's opening round clash of the Nedbank Cup when the pair meet at Athlone Stadium in Cape Town on Friday.
The two meet for a second time in less than a week, after Sundowns claimed a thrilling 3-2 win over the Urban Warriors in a PSL fixture at Loftus Versfeld last weekend.
The Brazilians walked away 1-0 winners last year when the Nedbank Cup kicked-off, with Tebogo Langerman scored the only goal of the game deep into extra-time.
Ajax will be buoyed by the news that Roger de Sa was appointed as their new head coach on Thursday and could be available for the Cup game, depending on Ajax's backroom decisions.
Ajax head into the game on the back of a goalless draw with Orlando Pirates in midweek, while Sundowns will want to make a solid start to their last chance for a shot at silverware this season.
The game at Loftus featured five goals, with an incredible five penalties being awarded by referee Victor Gomes, though only three were scored between the two teams.
Ajax have only managed a single win from their last five matches and will be looking for a win in the cup to kick-start their chase for survival as the PSL season heads towards its conclusion.
Sundowns last won the Nedbank Cup in 2008, while Ajax won in 2007, beating the Brazilians in the final.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The pair have met twice already this season, with Sundowns winning one, while their first game at Cape Town Stadium ended in a thrilling 2-2 draw in September last year.
- The Brazilians have scored the most goals in the PSL, with 32, while Ajax have scored 14 goals fewer.
- Sundowns are looking for a fourth win in a row across all competitions, which would be a first for the season, with their current best run sitting on three.
- Ajax come up against former player Khama Billiat, who signed for Sundowns at the beginning of the season, but is yet to score against his former employers.
- Urban Warriors' midfielder Toriq Losper signed a new contract with the club this week, which will keep him at Ikamva until 2017.