Tottenham - Lyon Preview: Friedel to start in goal as Lloris sits out against former side
Spurs will be keen to restart their bid for Europa League glory with a victory against a Ligue 1 outfit who impressed in the group stages - taking 16 points out of a possible 18
By Shane Farrington
Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Dembele, Parker, Bale
Reveillere, Lovren, Bisevac, Dabo
Lacazette, Grenier, Ghezzal
Andre Villas-Boas is set to make some changes from the side that defeated Newcastle United 2-1 on Saturday with Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Jan Vertonghen poised to come into the starting line-up to freshen up the backline.
Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is set to miss out against his former side as Villa-Boas revealed on Wednesday that second-choice Brad Friedel will be given the chance to impress.
Further forward, Emmanuel Adebayor is likely to start his first match for the club since returning from the Africa Cup of Nations.
Younes Kaboul (knee) and Jermain Defoe (ankle) both remain a couple of weeks away from returning while Sando (knee) will miss the rest of the season.
For the hosts, Remi Garde could also change the team which lost 3-1 at home to Lille. Yoann Gourcuff has struggled to make the starting XI for the club on a consistent basis but could be given a chance to add to his three appearances in the Europa League.
Up front Bafetimbi Gomis may also potentially come in to give increased attacking options alongside fellow strike partner Lisandro Lopez.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham finished second in Group J behind Serie A outfit Lazio. The north London club took 10 points from their six games.
- Hugo Lloris (pictured right) made 195 appearances for Lyon during his four-year spell at the club before he departed to move to Tottenham in August.
- The north London club have won the Uefa Cup twice - during its inaugural season in 1972 and in 1984. Spurs are 16/1 to win the tournament with Coral.
- Lyon won Group I in impressive fashion - taking 16 points out of a possible 18 - nine more than second-placed Sparta Prague.
- Ex-Spurs midfielder Steed Malbranque has scored twice in 16 appearances since he joined Lyon last summer.
- Bafetimbi Gomis has netted twice in three Europa League games so far this season, and has been linked with a move to a host of Premier League sides.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 3-1 Olympique Lyonnais
- 17.87 %
Tottenham 2-0 Olympique Lyonnais
- 17.68 %
Tottenham 2-1 Olympique Lyonnais
- 15.92 %
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Feb 22, 2013||Olympique Lyonnais 1 - Tottenham 1|
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Feb 15, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Olympique Lyonnais 1|
|Mar 9, 2014||Chelsea FC 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 3, 2014||Tottenham 1 - Cardiff City 0||EPL|
|Feb 28, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1||EL|
|Feb 24, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Feb 21, 2014||Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - Tottenham 0||EL|
|Mar 10, 2014||Girondins de Bordeaux 1 - Olympique Lyonnais 2||Lig1|
|Mar 3, 2014||Olympique Lyonnais 0 - Montpellier Herault SC 0||Lig1|
|Feb 28, 2014||Olympique Lyonnais 1 - Chornomorets 0||EL|
|Feb 24, 2014||LOSC Lille Métropole 0 - Olympique Lyonnais 0||Lig1|
|Feb 21, 2014||Chornomorets 0 - Olympique Lyonnais 0||EL|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed