Sweden - England Preview: Gerrard set for 100th cap among seven possible Three Lions debutants
With seven uncapped players among the Three Lions' 23-man squad, Roy Hodgson will be keen to gain a mixture between experience and youth against Erik Hamren's charges
By Alex Young
Lustig, Granqvist, J Olsson, Safari
Larsson, Elm, Kallstrom, Kacaniklic
Johnson, Cahill, Caulker, Baines
Osman, Gerrard, Cleverley
Sterling, Welbeck, Young
Sweden head coach Erik Hamren is not expected to tinker too much during this friendly, with the squad very similar to that of the selection which faced Germany and Faroe Islands.
Fulham youngster Alexander Kacaniklic could be in line for his fourth appearance after impressing at Craven Cottage this season after a successful loan spell at Watford last term.
Striker Mathias Ranegie will be hoping to his three caps after returning to the Sweden fold during the last round of qualifiers.
Due to a flux of withdrawals following the domestic schedule at the weekend, Roy Hodgson has had to rethink his plans with five players pulling out due to injury.
Uncapped Wilfried Zaha has been added to add to the six other possible debutants. Tom Huddlestone will be looking to add to his three caps - the last coming in May 2010.
Steven Caulker, Raheem Sterling and Leon Osman are likely to be handed their first appearances for England, with Carl Jenkinson - who has represented Finland at youth level - expected to feature as a substitute.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured, right) is two goals shy of Sweden legend Henrik Larsson's international tally of 39 and third in the all-time top goalscorers list.
- The last time these two teams faced each other in a Sweden-based friendly, Ibrahimovic scored the only goal in a 1-0 win in March 2004.
- If selected, Sunderland winger Sebastian Larsson will be making his 50th appearance for the Blagult.
- These two teams faced each other in the group stage of Euro 2012, with two late goals from Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck securing a 3-2 win for the Three Lions.
- England have beaten Sweden in their last two encounters but, before then, had not bested the Scandinavians in 13 matches - dating back to 1968.
- If he makes the field, Wilfred Zaha will become the first Championship player to represent England since Jay Bothroyd in November 2010.
- Captain Steven Gerrard is in line to make his 100th appearance for England and become only to sixth player to reach a century of caps for the side.
- There are seven players in Roy Hodgson's squad who are uncapped, including Finland Under-21 right-back Carl Jenkinson, Everton midfielder Leon Osman and Jamaican-born winger Raheem Sterling.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Sweden 1-2 England
- 14.9 %
Sweden 2-1 England
- 12.22 %
Sweden 1-3 England
- 10.07 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 15, 2012||Sweden 4 - England 2|
|Euro 2012 (EC)||Jun 16, 2012||Sweden 2 - England 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 16, 2011||England 1 - Sweden 0|
|World Cup 2006 (WC)||Jun 21, 2006||Sweden 2 - England 2|
|Mar 6, 2014||Turkey 2 - Sweden 1||FR|
|Jan 22, 2014||Iceland 0 - Sweden 2||FR|
|Jan 18, 2014||Moldova 1 - Sweden 2||FR|
|Nov 20, 2013||Sweden 2 - Portugal 3||WCQE|
|Nov 16, 2013||Portugal 1 - Sweden 0||WCQE|
|-||Pontus Sven Gustav Jansson|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed