Manchester City - Borussia Dortmund Preview: Mancini's side look to extend 17-match unbeaten home run
The Italian manager's side are hoping to replicate the 2-0 victory they achieved over German opposition during the group stages of last year's Champions League
By Ewan Roberts
Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy
Silva, Yaya Toure, Aguero
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Maicon (ankle/foot), Jack Rodwell (groin) and Micah Richards (ankle/foot) are all sidelined, but otherwise Roberto Mancini has a full quota of players to choose from.
The Italian manager is expected to field a similar side to that which beat Fulham 2-1 in the league, with Matija Nastasic and Gael Clichy continuing in defence ahead of Joleon Lescott and Aleksandar Kolarov respectively.
Despite scoring the winning goal at Craven Cottage, Edin Dzeko will probably remain on the bench with Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero retaining their places.
Jurgen Klopp has no notable absences and should be able to field a full strength side at the Etihad Stadium.
Robert Lewandowski was rested for Dortmund's 5-0 win against Borussia Monchengladbach at the weekend but will return to the side with Julian Schieber dropping back to the bench.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City are yet to keep a clean sheet this season. The Citizens have conceded 17 goals in nine games in all competitions.
- City are undefeated at home in their last 17 European matches.
- Mancini's men failed to win their last two home games. It is two years since Man City last went three games without winning at home.
- City have a positive record at home to German opposition, having won home ties against Bayern Munich, Hamburg and Schalke, while drawing with Borussia Monchengladbach.
- City and Dortmund have never met in a competitive match, but did face each other in a preseason fixture two years ago with the German club winning 3-1.
- Borussia Dortmund lost all three of their away fixtures in last season's Champions League, including a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal.
- Marco Reus (pictured right) leads the German champions' scoring charts this season with five goals in seven games in all competitions.
- Dortmund's 31-game unbeaten run in the Bundesliga was ended last week by Hamburg.
- No side has averaged more shots per game away from home (17.7) than Dortmund in the Bundesliga this season, nor has any side conceded fewer (8.7).
- Dortmund have lost on their last three visits to England (against Arsenal twice and Liverpool), but beat Manchester United at Old Trafford in 1997 en route to winning the competition.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.66 %
Manchester City 2-0 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.64 %
Manchester City 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.35 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 5, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Manchester City 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 4, 2012||Manchester City 1 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Aug 5, 2010||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Manchester City 1|
|May 15, 2013||Reading 0 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|May 8, 2013||Manchester City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Swansea City 0 - Manchester City 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Manchester City 2 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Man City €20.20||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Draw €36.50||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Dortmund €37.50||Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|