Manchester United - Manchester City Preview: Only pride at stake for Mancini's men with title race all but over
Sir Alex Ferguson's men are enjoying a 15-point lead over their cross-city rivals but the champions will be looking to avenge their 3-2 defeat at the Etihad earlier this season
By Tim Poole
Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Giggs, Carrick, Young
Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy
Milner, Tevez, Silva
Sir Alex Ferguson is still without Darren Fletcher, who is out for the season, but full-back Rafael is expected to return from a groin injury.
However, there could still be a place for Phil Jones or Chris Smalling at right-back, though the experienced pairing of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic are expected to start at centre-half.
Up front, Sir Alex's wealth of options means Chicharito, Danny Welbeck or Shinji Kagawa could be in contention to start ahead of Wayne Rooney or Robin van Persie.
The visitors, meanwhile, are still without injured full-back Maicon (knee) but could welcome Micah Richards (knee) and Jack Rodwell (hamstring) back in time for Monday's clash.
Out-of-favour defender Joleon Lescott is likely to continue on the bench for Roberto Mancini's men, though City's top scorer in the Premier League Edin Dzeko could be in contention for a starting place.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United are on course for a record 21st domestic title. City pipped them to the post last year, winning their first title in 44 years but United now look set to regain the trophy with a 15-point lead.
- The Red Devils can do the double over City with victory on Monday after a 3-2 win at the Etihad Stadium earlier in the season.
- Robin van Persie (pictured right) is Manchester United's top scorer with 23 goals in all competitions this season, but he has not netted in his last nine games for the club.
- Sir Alex's men have not finished outside of the top three since 1991. They have also finished at least second in their last eight consecutive league campaigns.
- Manchester City have lost just once in their last seven games in all competitions.
- City have scored 15 fewer goals than United this season, subsequently making their goal difference weaker than that of their cross-city rivals by 10.
- Away form has been the biggest problem for Mancini's men, with City suffering three defeats and five draws on the road. In stark contrast, the Premier League champions have only lost once and drawn three times at the Etihad, amassing 11 wins.
- Manchester City have beaten the Red Devils 16 times at Old Trafford in their history, though they have lost to United 36 times at the same ground.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 3-1 Manchester City
- 16.02 %
Manchester United 2-1 Manchester City
- 14.22 %
Manchester United 2-0 Manchester City
- 8.93 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 22, 2013||Manchester City 4 - Manchester United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 9, 2013||Manchester United 1 - Manchester City 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 9, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Manchester United 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 1, 2012||Manchester City 1 - Manchester United 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 8, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Manchester United 3|
|Dec 7, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|Dec 5, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|Nov 28, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Manchester United 5||UCL|
|Nov 25, 2013||Cardiff 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed