Aston Villa - Newcastle Preview: Premier League strugglers look for vital win in relegation six-pointer
Two teams on poor runs meet at Villa Park hoping to gain a crucial three points with the visitors boosted by a number of signing in the January transfer window
By Rhys Turrell
Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett
Delph, Westwood, Ireland
N'Zogbia, Benteke, Agbonlahor
Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Coloccini, Santon
Gutierrez, Cabaye, Marveaux
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is likely to recall striker Christian Benteke for the visit of Newcastle United on Tuesday night, after the Belgium striker missed the FA Cup defeat at Millwall.
Lamber may also be able to call on the services of defender Nathan Baker (hamstring), after the youngster returned to first-team training.
The Villans will be without Marc Albrighton and Chris Herd (both foot), Richard Dunne (groin) and Gary Gardner (knee).
The visitors can call upon the services of a host of their transfer window signings for the first time, with Moussa Sissoko, Massadio Haidara, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Yoan Gouffran all potential debutants.
Danny Simpson (toe) may be fit to return, but with the defensive ranks swelled by the return to fitness of Steven Taylor, and the arrival of several new players, he will not be rushed back into action.
Alan Pardew will have to do without Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Dan Gosling and Ryan Taylor (both knee) and Cheikh Tiote who is with Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup on Nations.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa have won six and drawn three of the nine games in which Christian Benteke has scored in.
- The Belgian striker (pictured, right) has been involved in more aerial duels than any other player in the Premier League this season with 268 to his name so far.
- The West Midlands club have won just twice at Villa Park in the league this season, with maximum points taken from Swansea and Reading.
- Newcastle have 10 French players in their first team squad - just one less than their English contingent.
- The Magpies have not won away from home in the Premier League this season. They have five draws and six defeats from their 11 games.
- No goals have been either scored or conceded by Newcastle during the period of 10 to 40 minutes in any of their away Premier League games this season.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 1-2 Newcastle United
- 14.37 %
Aston Villa 1-1 Newcastle United
- 13.91 %
Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United
- 12.66 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 23, 2014||Newcastle United 1 - Aston Villa 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 14, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Newcastle United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 30, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Newcastle United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 2, 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Aston Villa 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 5, 2012||Newcastle United 2 - Aston Villa 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||Crystal Palace 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Fulham 2||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Manchester United 4 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|Mar 24, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Stoke City 4||EPL|
|Mar 16, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea FC 0||EPL|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed