Wigan - Sunderland Preview: New signings Espinoza & Hernrique set to strengthen injury-stricken Latics
The DW Stadium outfit are suffering from a series of injuries and poor home form this year, but manager Roberto Martinez is hopeful he can strengthen his side with two new signings
By Sion Cleaver
Espinoza, Caldwell, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Jones, Beausejour
Gardner, O'Shea, Bramble, Colback
Johnson, Vaughan, Larsson, McClean
Roberto Martinez' Wigan will be without Ivan Ramis (knee) who is suffering from a suspected ligament injury.
The Latics boss is therefore likely to give new signing Roger Espinoza his Premier League debut in defence, with fellow newcomer Angelo Henrique likely to start on the bench.
Antolín Alcaraz (groin) has been deemed not fit for Sunderland's visit to the DW Stadium alongside long-term injury sufferers Adrián Lopez (hamstring), Ryo Miyaichi (ankle) and Ben Watson (broken leg).
Sunderland, meanwhile, will be without Lee Cattermole (knee) for the trip to Wigan, with Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill likely to opt for the inclusion of David Vaughan in midfield.
Wes Brown (knee) is unlikely to travel despite continuing his recovery from an injury that has seen him on the sidelines since January 2012 while Danny Rose and Carlos Cuellar are also expected to miss out.
Steven Fletcher is set to make his return from illness at the DW Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan have conceded 40 top-flight goals so far this season, the third worst tally in the Premier League.
- Jordi Gomez (pictured right) has cemented himself as the Latics' top goalscorer so far this campaign with six goals.
- The hosts have the second-worst home form in the Premier League, taking only nine points from 11 games at the DW Stadium.
- Sunderland have won three out of their last six Premier League clashes against Wigan, with the last outing ending 1-0 in the Black Cats' favour last September.
- Steven Fletcher has established himself as top goalscorer for Martin O'Neill side this season, with eight top-flight goals so far.
- The visitors have scored 24 goals and conceded 29 times this campaign.
- Martin O'Neill's side have the 10th best away form in the division, having taken 10 points from 11 games on the road.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Sunderland
- 19.36 %
Wigan Athletic 1-1 Sunderland
- 12.1 %
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Sunderland
- 7.26 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Sunderland 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 29, 2012||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 4, 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Sunderland 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 26, 2011||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 23, 2011||Sunderland 4 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 15, 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|May 8, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|Returns:||Wigan €1000.00||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Draw €85.00||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Sunderland €32.50||Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|27||Ahmed El Mohamady||Midfielder|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed