Norwich - Newcastle Preview: Magpies looking to end winless away streak
The Canaries will be desperate to end a run of four straight defeats, while the visitors are also on a poor run and have not won away from home this term
By Tim Poole
Martin, Bassong, Turner, Garrido
Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Pilkington
Debuchy, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Anita, Marveaux, Tiote
Obertan, Cisse, Sa Ameobi
Norwich boss Chris Hughton is still without first-choice goalkeeper John Ruddy (hip) but deputy shot-stopper Mark Bunn has performed impressively in his absence of late.
The Canaries will also be without Andrew Surman (knee), Steven Whittaker (hip) and Steve Morison (thigh), but welcome midfielder Bradley Johnson back from a one-match suspension.
Elsewhere, skipper and top-scorer Grant Holt should be in contention, after returning from a hamstring injury in training, while Jonny Howson faces a late fitness test after suffering with illness all week.
Visiting boss Alan Pardew, meanwhile, could hand new signing Mathieu Debuchy his Newcastle debut at right-back, with Danny Simpson out with a foot injury
Shola Ameobi is unavailable in attack, due to a one-match ban, so Papiss Cisse will be reinstated to the centre.
Yohan Cabaye (groin) and Steven Taylor (hamstring) are closing in on a return and the Frenchman could feature, but Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring) and Ryan Taylor (knee) remain sidelined long-term.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Norwich have lost their last four Premier League games, all by a one-goal margin.
- Defender Russell Martin has scored three goals in his last two league games for Norwich. Two of the strikes came in the Canaries' 4-3 home defeat to champions Manchester City.
- Norwich have won just once in six league encounters, although Chris Hughton's side had embarked upon a 10-match unbeaten run prior to their barren spell.
- The Canaries have won five of their 10 league matches at Carrow Road this season, drawing twice and losing on just three occasions.
- Newcastle have failed to register a win on their travels in 10 attempts this term, drawing four and losing six of their away-day encounters.
- The Magpies have also lost their last three matches, having picked up just one win in their last six outings.
- Newcastle's current top-scorer, Papiss Cisse (pictured right), has only scored four league goals this season. Former team-mate Demba Ba scored 13 for the Magpies this campaign, but has now completed a move to Chelsea.
- Alan Pardew's side have only kept three clean sheets all season, with their last one coming in the 1-0 win against bottom side QPR in December.
- The clubs' Premier League head-to-head record is all square, with both sides winning twice and drawing once. However, Newcastle lead the overall head-to-head thanks to a 2-1 League Cup victory in October 2004.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Norwich City 1-2 Newcastle United
- 16.13 %
Norwich City 1-3 Newcastle United
- 7.74 %
Norwich City 0-2 Newcastle United
- 7.42 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 29, 2014||Norwich City 0 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Norwich City 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 12, 2013||Norwich City 0 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Norwich City 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 19, 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Norwich City 0|
|Mar 8, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Stoke City 1||EPL|
|Mar 3, 2014||Aston Villa 4 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Feb 24, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Feb 12, 2014||West Ham United 2 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|Feb 8, 2014||Norwich City 0 - Manchester City 0||EPL|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed