Southampton - Newcastle Preview: Hosts look for back-to-back wins for first time this season
The Saints will be hoping that they can overcome their injury-hit opposition and propel themselves up the table with only their second home victory this term
By Nicholas McGee
Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw
Puncheon, Cork, Ramirez, Lallana
Simpson, Taylor, Williamson, Santon
Marveaux, Tiote, Gutierrez
Sa.Ameobi, Ba, Ferguson
Southampton have very few injury concerns going into the contest. Frazer Richardson (thigh) and Richard Chaplow (knock) are both expected to miss out but Nigel Adkins will be able to call upon his strongest starting line-up to face a below-par Newcastle side.
By contrast, Alan Pardew heads into the game with a multitude of absentees. Fabricio Coloccini serves the final game of a three-match suspension, while Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring) and Shola Ameobi (groin) will both be unavailable.
Gabriel Obertan (toe) is a doubt, but Papiss Cisse (thigh) should be fit to play after being forced off against Maritimo.
Jonas Gutierrez (knee) is set to return, but James Perch (thigh) is out. Yohan Cabaye (groin) is expected to be absent until the New Year.
Dan Gosling (knee) remains out, while Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic (both knee ligament) will miss the majority of the season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle legend Alan Shearer began his professional career at Southampton, scoring a hat-trick on his debut against Arsenal in 1988.
- Saints striker Emmanuel Mayuka was part of Zambia team that won the African Cup of Nations earlier this year. Newcastle's Cheikh Tiote was in the Ivory Coast side they defeated in a penalty shoot-out.
- Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana is just four goals shy of 50 in his professional career.
- Newcastle boss Alan Pardew managed Southampton for one season while the south coast club were in League One, guiding them to their first trophy since 1976 as they defeated Carlisle United to win the Football League trophy.
- The Magpies have won five times in their 43 visits to Southampton.
- Newcastle did the double over the Saints the last time the two teams met in league competition in 2004/05.
- In their 12 games this season, Southampton have won five points, just one more than the four Newcastle have earned on their travels this term.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 1-2 Newcastle United
- 16.6 %
Southampton 2-1 Newcastle United
- 13.83 %
Southampton 1-1 Newcastle United
- 10.28 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 24, 2013||Newcastle United 4 - Southampton 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 25, 2012||Southampton 2 - Newcastle United 0|
|May 12, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Southampton 0 - West Bromwich Albion 3||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||Swansea City 0 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2013||Southampton 1 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Southampton €21.00||Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
|Returns:||Draw €200.00||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Newcastle United €700.00||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|6||Jose Rocha Fonte||Defender|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed