Liverpool - Manchester United Preview: Reds hoping to add first Premier League win to midweek Europa League victory
Brendan Rodgers' side, who beat Young Boys 5-3 on Thursday, welcome their bitter rivals to Anfield in the first home game since the revelations over the Hillsborough disaster
By Tom McKeown
G. Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique
Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey
Borini, Suarez, Sterling
Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Buttner
Valencia, Kagawa, Nani
Liverpool are likely to make just one change from the draw at Sunderland last weekend, with Jose Enrique returning to Brendan Rodgers’ side in place of Martin Kelly.
Fabio Borini and Raheem Sterling, both substitutes in the 5-3 win at Young Boys on Thursday, should come back into the starting line-up to provide support for Luis Suarez, who was not in the squad for their Europa League encounter.
Joe Cole (hamstring) and Lucas (thigh) remain Rodgers' only injury concerns within his squad.
Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young are still too unfit to feature, although Rooney may return next week, but the former Aston Villa is still three weeks away from a comeback. Robin van Persie is likely to lead the line, with support from Shinji Kagawa.
David de Gea was in goal for the Red Devils’ 1-0 win over Galatasaray in midweek and is set to keep his place between the posts, and Alexander Buttner may retain his place in the XI after a goalscoring performance against Wigan last weekend.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- In their last five Premier League meetings, both sides have been on the scoresheet; the last time a side kept a clean sheet in this fixture was in October 2010 when Liverpool won 2-0.
- Brendan Rodgers’ side are still looking for their first clean sheet of this season, having kept 11 in the Premier League last year
- Liverpool have had 75 shots so far this season – the most in the league – but only 15 of them have been on target.
- Luis Suarez (pictured right) has created more goalscoring chances than anyone in the Premier League (12), but has yet to register an assist.
- Nemanja Vidic and Michael Carrick are the only two players to have started all four Premier League games for Manchester United this term.
- Danny Welbeck has yet to have a shot on target in the Premier League, despite 10 attempts so far this season; seven of them came in last week’s win over Wigan.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 1-3 Manchester United
- 15.99 %
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United
- 13.7 %
Liverpool 1-2 Manchester United
- 12.41 %
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 26, 2013||Manchester United 1 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 1, 2013||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 13, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 11, 2012||Manchester United 2 - Liverpool 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|Dec 5, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull City 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed