Norway - England Preview: Roy Hodgson looking for winning start as national coach in Euro 2012 warm-up
The 64-year-old makes his debut as Three Lions boss in Oslo for the first of two friendlies before the trip to Poland and Ukraine for this summer's showpiece tournament
By John Stammers
Hogli, Hangeland, Demidov, Riise
Braaten, Grindheim, Jenssen, Pedersen
Jones, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines
Walcott, Gerrard, Young
Havard Nordtveit, who spent three years at Arsenal without making an appearance, has pulled out of the Norway squad with a shoulder injury. Thomas Rogne has also been forced to miss the game with a muscle strain and Kim Andre Madsen has been brought in by Egil Olsen as his replacement.
The Premier League will be represented in the Norwegian side as Fulham duo John Arne Riise and Brede Hangeland should feature, with Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen also available. However, John Carew was left out of the squad.
Roy Hodgson has confirmed that Wayne Rooney will be left out of the England side due to a toe injury, and Glen Johnson is also a doubt with an infected toe. The Chelsea contingent involved in last weekend's Champions League final will also be missing and will not join up with the squad until next week.
Phil Jones should therefore start at right-back but Liverpool's Martin Kelly is also joining up with the squad as extra defensive cover and may get his chance at some point. At centre-back, Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott look the most likely combination after featuring together in Thursday's training session.
In midfield Scott Parker is expected to be fit despite a recent Achilles problem. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is unlikely to start but Stewart Downing could replace Theo Walcott or Ashley Young in an attempt to give the Liverpool winger a confidence boost ahead of the trip to Ukraine.
Up front Andy Carroll looks increasingly likely to be deployed as a lone striker, particularly with Danny Welbeck missing training in the week.
Watch the match LIVE online @ LIVESPORT.TV, Official Online Broadcaster to the England/Scotland Friendly. Visit www.livesport.tv/soccer for more info. Not available in the United Kingdom or Norway.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The clash will be England's first under new boss Roy Hodgson.
- Norway finished level on points with Portugal in Group H of the qualification round, however, an inferior goal difference meant they missed out on Euro 2012.
- Therefore, Olsen's side will fail to make their second appearance at the Euros, after debuting in 2000 when they exited at the group stages.
- The hosts have won three of their last five games, including beating Northern Ireland 3-0 and losing 4-1 to Wales.
- England have also won three out of their last five fixtures, defeating Spain, Sweden and Wales 1-0.
- England's players will be familiar with a number of their opponents through the English leagues. Fulham's John Arne Riise (pictured) and Brede Hangeland, Crystal Palace's Jonathan Parr, Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen, Portsmouth's Erik Huseklepp are all in the squad.
- Saturday's match is England's first of two friendlies before the Euros, the other is against Belgium at Wembley on June 2..
- Three of the last four meetings between the two sides have been drawn.
- England have won three to Norway's two from the 10 previous meetings, however they have won just one of the last six fixtures.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Norway 0-2 England
- 15.79 %
Norway 0-3 England
- 12.9 %
Norway 1-3 England
- 12.48 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||May 27, 2012||Norway 0 - England 1|
|Nov 20, 2013||Norway 0 - Scotland 1||FR|
|Nov 16, 2013||Denmark 2 - Norway 1||FR|
|Oct 16, 2013||Norway 1 - Iceland 1||WCQE|
|Oct 12, 2013||Slovenia 3 - Norway 0||WCQE|
|Sep 11, 2013||Norway 0 - Switzerland 2||WCQE|
|12||Rune Almenning Jarstein||Goalkeeper|
|-||John Arne Riise|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed