Valencia - Atletico Madrid Preview: Los Che aim to overcome two-goal deficit to secure spot in Europa League final
After dismantling Unai Emery's side 4-2 last week Los Colchoneros will be looking to wrap up their place in the competition's showpiece with a positive result on Thursday
By Roger Gonzalez
Costa, Rami, Ruiz, Alba
Tino Costa, TopalFeghouli, Jonas, Mathieu
Perea, Miranda, Dominguez, Filipe Luis
Adrian, Diego, Arda TuranFalcao
On-loan Real Madrid playmaker Sergio Canales made a welcome recovery from a serious ligament injury in the weekend victory over Betis, and may stand an outside chance of starting the match at Mestalla.
Roberto Soldado likely to retain his spot in attack, with Jonas supporting him in the final third. Ever Banega remains Valencia's most notable absentee, while Diego Alves is likely to continue in goa, as he has done for the majority of the European matches this season.
Diego Simeone has selected the same squad of 18 players that successfully negotiated the weekend match against Espanyol. Fran Merida cannot play because he is ineligible, having featured for Braga earlier in the competition.
Defensive duo Antonio Lopez and Silvio also remain absent from the list as a result of injury, while Paulo Assuncao and Pizzi did not travel as part of the match squad. One surprise inclusion is young striker Pedro Martin, who has yet to feature in the competition this season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Valencia were defeated 4-2 in the first leg last week at the Vicente Calderon, but Ricardo Costa's late away goal gives them hope of progression.
- Los Che have won the Uefa Cup on one occasion in 2004 after beating Marseille in the final.
- Los Colchoneros knocked Valencia out of the competition in 2010 at the quarter-final stage.
- Atletico Madrid have never won a European match away from home on Spanish soil, while Los Che have never been beaten at Mestalla against a La Liga team in Europe.
- The capital club won the competition for the first time in 2010, defeating Fulham in the final.
- Diego Simeone's outfit have won three consecutive games entering the contest, most recently a 3-1 triumph over Espanyol on Sunday.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Valencia CF 3-1 Atletico Madrid
- 13.16 %
Valencia CF 2-1 Atletico Madrid
- 11.97 %
Valencia CF 2-0 Atletico Madrid
- 11.65 %
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Jan 15, 2014||Atletico Madrid 2 - Valencia CF 0|
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Jan 8, 2014||Valencia CF 1 - Atletico Madrid 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Dec 16, 2013||Atletico Madrid 3 - Valencia CF 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Apr 1, 2013||Atletico Madrid 1 - Valencia CF 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Nov 4, 2012||Valencia CF 2 - Atletico Madrid 0|
|Mar 10, 2014||Valencia CF 1 - Athletic de Bilbao 1||LIGA|
|Mar 3, 2014||Rayo Vallecano 1 - Valencia CF 0||LIGA|
|Feb 28, 2014||Valencia CF 0 - Dynamo Kiev 0||EL|
|Feb 24, 2014||Valencia CF 2 - Granada 1||LIGA|
|Feb 21, 2014||Dynamo Kiev 0 - Valencia CF 2||EL|
|20||Aritz Aduriz Zubeldia||Striker|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed