Al Shabab - Persepolis ACL Preview: Reds gunning for progress in Dubai
The Tehran giants are hoping to improve on their poor recent run in Asian competition, with any result in Dubai good enough to see them reach the knockout stage
By Ben Somerford
Issa, Abdullah, Abbas, Ibrahim
Daud Ali, Ahmed, Almeida, Abdullah
Pooladi, Rezaei, Nosrati, Aliasgar
Zare, Karimi, Noori, Rezaei
Paulo Bonamigo's side are without a host of key players due to suspension including goalkeeper Ismail Rabee, Chilean attacker Carlos Villanueva, Brazilians Ciel and Kieza and Esam Dhahi while Uzbekistan international Azizbek Haydarov will be rested.
The Brazilian boss knows there's little to gain from this game for his side and with a cup final against Al Ahli around the corner, several stars have been left out after an exhausting Pro-League campaign.
Persepolis will be without the suspended Amir Feshangchi as well as Burkina Faso defender Mamadou Tal and forward Mehrdad Oladi due to injury. Libya international Eamon Zayed netted a hat-trick in these two sides' previous meeting, a 6-1 win for Persepolis, and will lead the line again.
Reds boss Mustafa Denizli saw his side finished the domestic season with a morale-boosting 2-1 win at Foolad which helped the club move up to 12th on the final table. They had been one spot above the drop zone heading into the final day.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Al Shabab are making just their second appearance in continental competition, having bowed out at the group stage three years ago.
- The Dubai-based outfit reached the final of the Asian Cup Winners Cup in 1995.
- Al Shabab are six-time UAE runners-up and have been domestic champions on only three occasions.
- Persepolis may be nine-time Iranian champions but they've never been continental champions, although they did win the 1991 Asian Cup Winners Cup.
- The Reds endured a dismal 2011-12 Iranian Pro League campaign finishing way down in 12th.
- Last year Persepolis crashed out of the ACL at the group stage, while in 2009 they bowed out at the Round of 16.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Al Shabab Al Arabi 1-2 Persepolis
- 26.39 %
Al Shabab Al Arabi 1-3 Persepolis
- 15.28 %
Al Shabab Al Arabi 0-2 Persepolis
- 15.28 %
|AFC Champions League (ACL)||May 16, 2012||Al Shabab Al Arabi 1 - Persepolis 3|
|AFC Champions League (ACL)||Mar 21, 2012||Persepolis 6 - Al Shabab Al Arabi 1|
|Al Shabab Al Arabi|
|Dec 4, 2013||Al Wahda 1 - Al Shabab Al Arabi 1||UAE1|
|Nov 29, 2013||Al Shabab Al Arabi 3 - Dubai 0||UAE1|
|Nov 23, 2013||Al Dhafra 2 - Al Shabab Al Arabi 6||UAE1|
|Nov 1, 2013||Al Shabab Al Arabi 3 - Ajman 1||UAE1|
|Oct 27, 2013||Al Shaab 2 - Al Shabab Al Arabi 1||UAE1|
|1||Ismail Rabee Juma||Goalkeeper|
|-||Adel Abdullah Abbas||Midfielder|
|-||Ramadan Al Maas||Defender|
|-||Dawood Ali Jasem||Midfielder|
|7||Hamidreza Ali Asgari||Defender|