FA Cup Preview: Liverpool - Manchester United
The last five meetings between the two sides in this competition have all been decided by a one-goal margin, with three 1-0 victories having come to pass during this time
By Adithya Ananth
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Jose Enrique
Adam, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing
Rafael, Smalling, Evans, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Park
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish doesn't have too many selection concerns ahead of Manchester United, but won't be able to call upon Luis Suarez due to the striker serving his suspension following the race row that also involved Patrice Evra.
Lucas is sidelined with a knee injury that is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the season, while young defender Jack Robinson is out with a hamstring problem. Even if fit, the 18-year-old would have been an unlikely choice considering the magnitude of the game.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has some injury concerns ahead of the match, as Rio Ferdinand (back) is doubtful, as is Anderson with a slight knock, while Phil Jones (ankle) and Nani (foot) will sit out. Ferdinand missed the game against Arsenal, while Jones and Nani sustained their injuries during the 2-1 win at the Emirates Stadium.
Michael Owen (thigh) is still out, while Darren Fletcher (illness) and Nemnaja Vidic (knee) are expected to be out for the rest of the season, but Ashley Young could make a return to the United bench.
Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans put in a good performance during the victory over the Gunners and are expected to start at Anfield, with Rafael and Evra in full-back positions. Park Ji-Sung will likely be the man on the left flank with Nani almost certainly out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last time that the Red Devils beat Liverpool at Anfield in this competition was back in 1985, when Joe Fagan was boss. He was succeeded by Kenny Dalglish as player-manager the following season.
- The last five FA Cup meetings between the two sides have all been settled by a one goal margin, with three of them ending in a 1-0 victory while the other two ended in a 2-1 result.
- Dalglish managed to win the FA Cup twice during his first stint at boss, with the Reds winning the the competition in the 1985-86 and 1988-89 seasons. He is also one of 15 people to have won it as a player and a manager.
- Steven Gerrard (pictured right) has scored three goals and has been red carded once in his last four games against Sir Alex Ferguson's men.
- Manchester United have lost only three times in their last 21 away games in all competitions.
- The last time that the Red Devils lost to Liverpool in the FA Cup was back in 2006, when the Reds managed to secure a 1-0 victory at Anfield in the fifth round of the domestic cup tournament.
- Sir Alex has won this competition five times during the course of his long and distinguished managerial career. Should he guide his charges to the ultimate prize this season, he will have equalled former Aston Villa boss George Ramsay's record of six FA Cup trophies.
- United are currently the most successful club in this competition, having won it 11 times during the course of their history. Liverpool have won it on seven occasions, with their last triumph coming in the form of a penalty shootout victory over West Ham United in 2006.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United
- 17.31 %
Liverpool 1-2 Manchester United
- 16.94 %
Liverpool 1-3 Manchester United
- 11.7 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 13, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 11, 2012||Manchester United 2 - Liverpool 1|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 28, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Manchester United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 15, 2011||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 1|
|May 19, 2013||Liverpool 1 - QPR 0||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Fulham 1 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Apr 28, 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|Apr 21, 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea FC 2||EPL|
|Returns:||Liverpool €25.30||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Draw €30.50||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Returns:||Man. United €30.50||Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|25||José Reina Paez||Goalkeeper|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Fabio Da Silva||Defender|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed