Netherlands - Denmark Preview: Oranje eye winning start in Euro 2012 Group of Death
The Dutch and the Danes face off for the second major tournament running, with Bert van Marwijk's side hoping to repeat the result of their 2010 World Cup opener
By Karthick Arvinth
Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Bouma, Willems
De Jong, Van Bommel
Robben, Sneijder, Afellay
Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, S Poulsen
C Poulsen, Kvist
Rommedahl, Eriksen, Krohn-Dehli
Netherlands defender Joris Mathijsen is unlikely to recover from his hamstring injury in time for Saturday's Group B encounter with Denmark in Kharkiv.
PSV's Wilfred Bouma, who played his last competitive game for the Dutch during the previous Euro finals in 2008, could get the nod in central defence over Ron Vlaar owing to his greater experience at international level.
Robin van Persie is set to start ahead of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar to spearhead Bert van Marwijk's 4-2-3-1 formation.
Denmark, the 1992 champions, lost midfielder Niki Zimling during their final traiining session on Friday and are liekly to bring in veteran Christian Pulsen to replace him. Otherwise coach Morten Olsen will name the same team that beat Australia 2-0 in a pre-tournament friendly in Copenhagen.
Nicklas Bendtner will start in the lone striking role, with support from Ajax starlet Christian Eriksen.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Netherlands have won just three of their last seven official matches (W3, D1, L3).
- The last meeting between the Dutch and the Danes came in their opening game at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, which the Oranje won 2-0.
- The Netherlands were the most prolific side in the qualifying phase, netting 37 goals in their 10 games with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (12) topping the goalscoring charts.
- If he plays, Jetro Willems (pictured right), 18, will become the youngest player ever to grace the European Championship.
- Denmark have won six of their last eight official matches. They are 11/1 to win the game 1-0 with bet365.
- It is 45 years since the Danes' last victory over the Dutch - a 3-2 European Championship qualifying win in Copenhagen on October 4, 1967.
- The teams are meeting each other for the 31st time, with Denmark's record reading W8, D10, L12.
- Morten Olsen's side scored 15 goals in qualifying, the second fewest of all the finalists behind Greece (14) and level with the Czech Republic and France. The Danes did, however, play two games fewer than all those teams.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Netherlands 2-0 Denmark
- 19.45 %
Netherlands 3-1 Denmark
- 18.84 %
Netherlands 2-1 Denmark
- 13.68 %
|Euro 2012 (EC)||Jun 10, 2012||Netherlands 0 - Denmark 1|
|World - FIFA World Cup (WC)||Jun 14, 2010||Netherlands 2 - Denmark 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||May 30, 2008||Netherlands 1 - Denmark 1|
|Nov 20, 2013||Netherlands 0 - Colombia 0||FR|
|Nov 16, 2013||Netherlands 2 - Japan 2||FR|
|Oct 16, 2013||Turkey 0 - Netherlands 2||WCQE|
|Oct 12, 2013||Netherlands 8 - Hungary 1||WCQE|
|Sep 11, 2013||Andorra 0 - Netherlands 2||WCQE|
|2||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|-||Mark van Bommel|
|8||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|16||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
|-||Luuk de Jong|
|7||William Kvist Jörgensen||Midfielder|
|-||Tobias Pilegaard Mikkelsen|