Twente - Ajax Preview: Frank de Boer's men on brink of 31st Eredivsie title
A win in Enschede could be enough for the Godenzonen to retain their league crown, while the hosts remain in contention for a Champions League play-offs ticket
By Renger Dotinga
Rosales, Bengtsson, Douglas, Tiendalli
Brama, Fer, Janssen
John, De Jong, Chadl
vd Wiel, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Blind
Eriksen, Anita, Janssen
De Jong, Sigthorsson, Boerrigter
Twente have few injury concerns, with Andrej Rendla and Rasmus Bengtsson the only absentees for the hosts. Nacer Chadli could be in line to start following his late winner against Excelsior last time out, and if given the nod would likely replace Verhoek on the right flank. Luuk de Jong missed Friday’s training through illness, but is expected recover in time and start in Sunday’s encounter.
The visitors remain without Nicolas Boilesen and Miralem Sulejmani, with neither expected to make a further appearance this season. Kolbein Sightorsson could make his long-awaited return to the starting line-up against Twente, while skipper Jan Vertonghen looks set to shrug off an ankle knock and start alongside Toby Alderweireld.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Twente currently sit fourth in the league standings, one point below second placed AZ and Feyenoord.
- The Tukkers recorded an unconvincing victory away to Excelsior last week, with Nacer Chadli snatching a 1-0 win in injury time.
- Luuk de Jong (pictured) will face off against his brother Siem, who plays for Ajax. Both lead the scoring charts for their respective clubs.
- Ajax can claim their 31st title with a win on Sunday, provided AZ and Feyenoord play out a draw at the same time.
- The Godenzonen have risen from sixth to first in the last few months, and are currently on an 11-match winning streak.
- The capital outfit beat the hosts 3-1 in a dramatic finale to the 2010-2011 season, overtaking them in first to clinch their first title since 2004.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Twente 1-2 Ajax
- 17.82 %
FC Twente 1-3 Ajax
- 14.36 %
FC Twente 0-2 Ajax
- 13.86 %
|Netherlands - Eredivisie (ERE)||Oct 20, 2013||FC Twente 1 - Ajax 1|
|Netherlands - Eredivisie (ERE)||Mar 3, 2013||FC Twente 0 - Ajax 2|
|Netherlands - Eredivisie (ERE)||Sep 30, 2012||Ajax 1 - FC Twente 0|
|Netherlands - Eredivisie (ERE)||Apr 29, 2012||FC Twente 1 - Ajax 2|
|Netherlands - Eredivisie (ERE)||Sep 25, 2011||Ajax 1 - FC Twente 1|
|Dec 15, 2013||FC Twente 3 - Go Ahead Eagles 1||ERE|
|Dec 8, 2013||AZ Alkmaar 1 - FC Twente 2||ERE|
|Nov 30, 2013||Roda JC 1 - FC Twente 2||ERE|
|Nov 24, 2013||FC Twente 5 - NAC Breda 2||ERE|
|Nov 10, 2013||PEC Zwolle 1 - FC Twente 1||ERE|
|9||Luuk de Jong||Striker|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|10||Siem de Jong||Midfielder|
|34||Ricardo van Rhijn||Defender|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed