Arsenal - Wigan Preview: Gunners looking to consolidate third place against resurgent Latics
Arsene Wenger's men can open up an eight-point gap over fourth-placed Spurs with a win against Roberto Martinez's relegation-threatened side, who have won four of their last five
By Thomas Anthony Wilson
Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Santos
Arteta, Song, Rosicky
Walcott, Van Persie, Benayoun
Alcaraz, Caldwell, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, McArthur, Beausejour
Arsenal are missing centre-back Laurent Koscielny, who serves the final game of his suspension for picking up his 10th yellow card of the campaign against Manchester City.
Apart from that, the Gunners are only suffering from the long-term absences of Jack Wilshere, Per Mertesacker (both ankle), Emmanuel Frimpong (knee), Francis Coquelin and Abou Diaby (both hamstring).
Arsene Wenger is likely to stick with the 4-3-3 formation that beat Wolves 0-3.
The Latics are missing Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega once again, but have no fresh injury concerns and are likely to remain unchanged from their 1-0 victory over Manchester United.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal have won eight of their last nine matches.
- The Gunners cruised to a comfortable 4-0 victory over Wigan at the DW Stadium on December 3.
- Arsenal boast the second best home defence in the league, having only conceded 12 goals compared to Manchester City's 10.
- Wigan have only beaten their opponents once in their Premier League history, with a historic 3-2 victory at the DW Stadium helping to seal their top-flight survival in April 2010.
- The Latics are searching for their fourth victory in five league matches, following their impressive 1-0 victory over Manchester United.
- Of the last six matches Wigan midfielder Shaun Maloney (pictured right) has been involved in, they have lost just once.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 19.47 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 Wigan Athletic
- 14.82 %
Arsenal FC 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 11.18 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 15, 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 22, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Arsenal FC 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 17, 2012||Arsenal FC 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 3, 2011||Wigan Athletic 0 - Arsenal FC 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 22, 2011||Arsenal FC 3 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Mar 8, 2014||Arsenal FC 4 - Everton 1||FA|
|Mar 1, 2014||Stoke City 1 - Arsenal FC 0||EPL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Arsenal FC 4 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|Feb 20, 2014||Arsenal FC 0 - FC Bayern München 2||UCL|
|Feb 17, 2014||Arsenal FC 2 - Liverpool 1||FA|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed