thumbnail Hello,


  • October 27, 2013
  • • 21:30
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 500

SuperSport United 1-1 Bloemfontein Celtic: Niang penalty strike rescues Matsatsantsa at home

SuperSport United 1-1 Bloemfontein Celtic: Niang penalty strike rescues Matsatsantsa at home

Getty Images

Musa Nyatama's first half opener was cancelled out by an 80th minute Mame Niang penalty, as Bloemfontein Celtic and SuperSport United played to a draw at the Lucas Moripe Stadium

SuperSport United and Bloemfontein Celtic played to a 1-1 draw at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the home side having to come from behind in order to secure the draw.                 

Musa Nyatama opened the scoring in the first half, but SuperSport United were able to find the equaliser with 10 minutes to go, due to a poor challenge from Tsietsi Mahoa, which resulted in a penalty kick for the home side.

Mame Niang hit an unerring strike past Patrick Tignyemb to seal the draw for Matsatsansta, moving them level with Moroka Swallows at the summit of the PSL standings.

Celtic started well, Nyatama showing fantastic skill in the second minute to burst past three defenders and provide a low delivery into the path of Manzine, who should have scored with the goal at his mercy, but inexplicably let the ball pass through his legs.

Mame Niang had SuperSport’s first effort of the match three minutes later, driving a stinging shot into the grateful hands of Patrick Tignyemb.

The home side dominated the early stages of the match, but Celtic created yet another clear-cut opportunity in the 11th minute, Thabo Nthethe latching onto to a delivery from Nyatama and heading wide past the left post.

It was then SuperSport’s turn to miss a glaring opportunity in the 19th minute, with Thuso Phala the guilty party after some impressive build-up play allowed for the winger to have time and space to beat Tignyemb, but Phala’s powerful strike skewed off his boot and hit the side netting.

Celtic responded immediately, a swerving strike from Nyatama testing Ronwen William’s acrobatic ability, the keeper up to the test by denying the attempt with a superb save.

Profligacy continued to be the theme of the afternoon, with Manzine failing to find the target once again after Mutuma unselfishly squared a pass into the striker’s path after drawing Williams off his line, but Manzine’s attempt to find the back of the net left much to be desired as it soared wide over the open net.

The visitors finally made use of their chances, Nyatama scoring the opener with a clinical strike past Williams with 39 minutes on the clock.

SuperSport almost found the equaliser minutes later, with Niang and Doutie’s strikes at goal being blocked by some brave defending from Siwelele.                            

Doutie was denied yet again on the stroke of half time, his curling free kick finding the woodwork, much to the midfielder’s frustration.

The second half began with SuperSport piling on the pressure, another set-piece almost leading to the equaliser as Maluleka’s looping cross found the head of the towering Niang, but the Sengalese striker could only glance his header off target.

The home side continued to search for the equaliser and Tignyemb was called into action with 49 minutes on the clock, a rasping drive from Phala well saved by the Celtic goalkeeper.

Celtic soaked up the pressure and began to find space in the final third, Nyatama blasting an attempt wide in the 58th minute and Ntanga wasting a massive chance to secure the second goal, missing the ball with an attempted shot two minutes later.

Despite dominating possession stats, SuperSport United struggled to create chances as time slowly wound down, Celtic parking the bus in an attempt to secure a vital win.

Cavin Johnson introduced Bradley Grobler with 15 minutes to go, a last throw of the dice for the SuperSport coach as Celtic looked set to win only their second PSL game of the season.

The decision paid off as Grobler was brought to the floor in the box due to a heavy challenge from Mahoa, winning a penalty for his side. It was a moment of madness from the Celtic defender and Niang stepped up and fired home the equaliser, while Grobler was stretchered off the pitch and treated on the sidelines.

A late surge from the home side did not result in a winner, SuperSport going level with Moroka Swallows at the top of the PSL log with 15 points, while Celtic move onto eight points.