Bayern Munich-Barcelona Preview: Bavarian giants out to draw first blood in heavyweight duel
Jupp Heynckes' high-flying side welcome the Blaugrana to the Allianz Arena on Tuesday night for the first leg of a blockbuster semi-final between two European powerhouses
By Karthick Arvinth
Bayern Munich striker Mario Mandzukic will miss the Champions League showdown against Barcelona through suspension.
Philippe Lahm, Javi Martinez and Bastian Schweinsteiger should all return to the starting line-up after being rested for Saturday's 6-1 win over Hannover, but long-term injury victims Toni Kroos (groin) and Holger Badstuber (knee) remain absent.
|Bet:||Returns:||Bayern €15.00||Draw €45.00||Man City €55.00|
Lionel Messi has handed Barcelona a major boost by returning to full training after missing the last two games with a hamstring strain - though has not been given the all-clear yet.
Defenders Carles Puyol and Javier Mascherano (both knee) and Adriano (suspension) are all out so youngster Marc Bartra is likely to partner Gerard Pique in central defence.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich have won 18 of their last 19 matches in all competitions, with the solitary defeat coming against Arsenal in the Champions League round of 16 second leg.
- The Bavarian giants have lost just one of 20 previous home encounters against Spanish opponents (W14, D5, L1).
- Bayern have won three of their six previous meetings with Barcelona in European competition (W3, D2, L1).
- Philipp Lahm, Dante and Luiz Gustavo will miss the return leg if they get booked on Tuesday night.
- The Blaugrana are on an eight-match unbeaten run on German soil stretching back to 2001. Their overall record away record against Bundesliga teams is W9, D10, L5.
- Xavi (pictured, right) has completed 1,005 passes in the Champions League this season, 470 more than any other player, at an 88% success rate.
- Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba and Alex Song will incur a ban with their next bookings.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Bayern München 1-2 FC Barcelona
- 16.88 %
FC Bayern München 2-1 FC Barcelona
- 14.47 %
FC Bayern München 2-0 FC Barcelona
- 12.92 %
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Jul 25, 2013||FC Bayern München 2 - FC Barcelona 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||May 2, 2013||FC Barcelona 0 - FC Bayern München 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 24, 2013||FC Bayern München 4 - FC Barcelona 0|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Jul 28, 2011||FC Barcelona 2 - FC Bayern München 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 15, 2009||FC Bayern München 1 - FC Barcelona 1|
|FC Bayern München|
|Dec 7, 2013||Werder Bremen 0 - FC Bayern München 7||BUN|
|Dec 5, 2013||FC Augsburg 0 - FC Bayern München 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||FC Bayern München 2 - Eintracht Braunschweig 0||BUN|
|Nov 28, 2013||CSKA Moscow 1 - FC Bayern München 3||UCL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - FC Bayern München 3||BUN|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
Times In SGT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed