thumbnail Hello,


  • August 30, 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • Bishan Stadium, Singapore
  • Referee: W. Ravisanthiran

Webb wins it for Protectors against spirited Young Lions

Webb wins it for Protectors against spirited Young Lions

Stanford Sng

The winger capped a lively performance with a deserved goal to help the uniformed giants beat the league's bottom side

Home United moved to within a point of second-placed Albirex Niigata after a slender 1-0 win over the Courts Young Lions on Friday night at the Bishan Stadium.

A solitary strike from winger Jordan Webb, who was a menace throughout, saw them take home the three points after surviving a couple of late scares from Young Lions substitute Sahil Suhaimi.

Korean star Lee Kwan Woo had an early effort on goal for Home three minutes into the game, his 30-yard freekick from out wide on the left narrowly fizzing over Syazwan Buhari’s bar.

Four minutes later, Muhaymin Salim’s curler was deflected wide by a last-ditch tackle after he had beaten Noh Rahman for pace and raced towards goal.

Having bagged their first league victory last week, the visitors looked well up for the fight and could have taken the lead in the 15th minute.

From a cleared Home freekick, Muhaymin broke clear before releasing Sherif El-Masri with a superb pass near the centre circle. The Canadian looked odds-on to race clear, but goalkeeper Shahril Jantan rushed way out of his box to get a vital foot in.

Iqbal Hussein then fired a low drive straight at Shahril after cutting in from the right, before Firdaus Idros smacked a powerful effort just over from the edge of the box.

Webb was starting to grow into the game and saw a header cleared off the line by Faiz Salleh, before Syazwan parried a low effort.

The ex-Hougang United player then dragged a shot wide after pouncing on a defensive error, as the hosts pushed for an opening goal.

Indra Sahdan, who struck a brace in his last game, then had a low drive well blocked by Al-Qaasimy Rahman before half-time after engineering space in the box for himself with some neat footwork.

The Singapore international was at it again seven minutes after the break when he forced a goal-line clearance from M. Anumanthan with a cross-shot, just as Webb looked to pounce.

Syazwan then denied Masrezwan Masturi with a good block after Firdaus Idros slipped him through on the half hour, before an offside flag ruled out Webb’s cool finish moments later following a neat flick from Masrezwan.

There was no denying the livewire Webb though as he finally broke the deadlock in the 68th minute.

A slide-rule pass from Indra found him on the right of the box and the Canadian promptly dispatched the ball into the far corner over a hapless Syazwan.

Having come on two minutes before his side fell behind, Sahil was unlucky not to get his side back on level terms in the closing stages.

A superb first-time volley off Muhaymin’s right-wing cross was brilliantly saved by Shahril in the 87th minute, who was then rooted to his line two minutes later when the same player strode forward to unleash a dipping 25-yard rocket that smashed off the post.

An equaliser would have perhaps been a fitting reward for a dazzling cameo, but the Protectors saw out three minutes of injury time without further alarm to notch a third consecutive league win.