thumbnail Hello,


  • May 25, 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • Choa Chu Kang Stadium, Singapore
  • Referee: W. Ravisanthiran

Mislav Karoglan takes a shot for Warriors FC against Woodlands Wellington

Yazid stars as Rams hold Warriors

Mislav Karoglan takes a shot for Warriors FC against Woodlands Wellington

Muhammad Farhan

The goalkeeper was inspirational for the visitors, although he could not do anything about a late equaliser from the hosts, who got a deserved point

By Khalis Rifhan

Woodlands Wellington climbed to eighth in the S.League table after holding Warriors FC to a 1-1 draw at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium on Saturday.

The hosts dominated the game and had numerous chances on goal but were denied by the heroics of Yazid Yasin, who single-handedly earned his team a precious point. 

After enduring the first-half onslaught by the Warriors, Salim Moin's charges took the lead two minutes after the hour mark after patient build-up play.

Ang Zhi Wei started the move down the right and exchanged passes with Chang Jo Yoon, before Atsushi Shimono ended the attack by sending the ball beyond the reach of Hassan Sunny and into the top left corner of the Warriors goal.

That goal was totally against the run of play, as V. Selvaraj’s side was the better of the two before the half-time interval.

Earlier in the sixth minute, Yazid had pulled off a one-handed save to turn Shimpei Sakurada’s header behind for a corner. Nine minutes later, the former Singapore international denied Sufian Anuar as the Rams custodian got down quick to save the ball on the line. 

There were nervy moments at the back for Woodlands as their defence was guilty of giving away the ball cheaply, but thankfully Yazid was always present as he doubled-up as a center-back to clear the ball away to safety on occasion.

Woodlands could have added a second goal 10 minutes before the end as Chang played a defence-splitting through ball to substitute Moon Soon Ho, but the latter’s shot ended up in the side netting. 

It was a very costly miss as the Warriors leveled things eight minutes later, courtesy of a well-taken freekick by Japanese midfielder Tatsuro Inui, who finally registered his name in the score-sheet after four attempts from set-pieces.

The hosts were not satisfied with only an equaliser and surged forward in search of the winner deep into injury time, but were left disappointed as they could not find a way past the Rams defence, who stood strong and in numbers till the final whistle.