Wales - Austria Preview: Hosts look to end slump
Chris Coleman's men will be hoping to get into the winning habit ahead of continuing their Brazil 2014 qualifying campaign with a friendly triumph over Marcel Koller's side
By Sion Cleaver
Matthews, Ricketts, Williams, Davies
Ramsey, Vaughan, Ledley
Bellamy, Church, Bale
Fuchs, Garics, Pogatetz, Prodl
Alaba, Ivanschitz, Kavlak
Harnik, Janko, Arnautovic
Swansea youngster Ben Davies has been included in the Wales squad that will welcome Austria to the Liberty Stadium on Wednesday.
The 19-year-old only has one international start to his name but is expected to feature in the starting line-up following his impressive debut season with Michael Laudrup’s Swans.
Swansea team-mate Ashley Williams is set to join the youngster in defence, teaming up with Bolton and Celtic full-backs Sam Ricketts and Adam Matthews.
Joe Allen will join up with the Wales squad but is not expected to make the starting XI, with boss Chris Coleman likely to favour Arsenal playmaker Aaron Ramsey in midfield.
West Ham defender Emanuel Pogatetz is set to make the trip in search of his 53rd appearance in an Austria shirt.
The defensive duo of Gyorgy Garics and Sebastian Prodl are expected to join the Austrian at the back, with Martin Harnik and Marc Janko set to lead the visitors’ attacking movement up front.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wales have only won once so far in their World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign, beating Scotland with a 2-1 scoreline in October 2012.
- Gareth Bale (pictured right) is only player to have scored for Wales during their current World Cup qualifying campaign, with the Tottenham striker netting a total of 3 goals in four games.
- Wales lost six of the seven matches they played in 2012, being defeated by Costa Rica, Mexico, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Belgium, Serbia and Croatia.
- Austria, ranked 68th, are 13 places above 81st placed Wales in the current FIFA World rankings.
- The visitors have only lost twice in their last 8 international outings, a streak lasting back to February 2012.
- The away side's last friendly clash saw them pick up a hefty 3-0 defeat at home to Ivory Coast in November 2012.
|Make a deposit now and earn up to SGD 388 bonus from 188BET!|
|Sign up with Ladbrokes for a free bet up to $100|
Top 3 Predictions
Wales 2-1 Austria
- 13.79 %
Wales 0-2 Austria
- 13.79 %
Wales 1-1 Austria
- 10.35 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Feb 7, 2013||Wales 2 - Austria 1|
|Mar 6, 2014||Wales 3 - Iceland 1||FR|
|Nov 17, 2013||Wales 1 - Finland 1||FR|
|Oct 16, 2013||Belgium 1 - Wales 1||WCQE|
|Oct 12, 2013||Wales 1 - Macedonia FYR 0||WCQE|
|Sep 11, 2013||Wales 0 - Serbia 3||WCQE|
|-||Owain Fon Williams||Goalkeeper|
|-||Craig Martin Davies|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed