thumbnail Hello,

The Super Eagles coach has brought into speculation his continued stay on the job after telling media he’s not been offered contract renewal

By Lolade Adewuyi in Brasilia

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi’s continued stay on the job has come under speculation after his side lost 2-0 to France on Monday.

The 53-year-old told media he has not been offered contract extension and renewed talk that he could be set to go to South Africa.

Asked if he was going to continue with building the Nigeria team, Keshi told journalists: “I’m not sure. My contract is almost at the end and nobody’s talked to me about contract renewal.

“How am I going to stay in a place where I’m not needed?”

The former captain has already achieved much success with the side becoming the second man to win the Africa Cup of Nations as player and as a coach in 2013.

After the team’s AFCON triumph, Keshi tendered his resignation saying he had been disrespected by officials of the Nigeria Football Federation. He was made to rescind his decision after the country's sports minister waded in.

Afterwards, he was owed salary of up to seven months until he spoke to the media and got the attention of the government.

He saw the Super Eagles through qualifying to the World Cup and became the first local coach to take them to the second round, their first since 1998.

In the course of this tournament, he told media that he was wanted by at least six countries. Speculations are rife that he could be headed to coach Bafana Bafana who recently failed to extend the contract of coach Gordon Igesund.

The NFF has not yet issued any statement about keeping him on the job, even though it seems his mind is set on leaving for good this time.

Related