The former Super Eagles coach has stated that he is still in charge of the Akure Arsenal but wants more assurances on security because of threats to his life by some miscreants
Sunshine Stars' head coach Fatai Amoo has revealed to Goal that he never tendered any resignation letter as circulated in the media but only refused to go back to Akure because of threats to his life.
Amoo was reported to have resigned after he was assaulted by supporters of the Akure Arsenal after their loss to Nasarawa United in the Round of 16 of the Federation Cup on Wednesday. But the former 3SC and Enyimba coach has asserted that he only steered clear of Akure because of constant death threats he received from some miscreants within the state because of the loss.
Amoo disclosed to Goal that he would be ready to return to Akure to resume his work when he gets assurances that adequate security would be provided for him and his players to ward off death threats to their lives.
He said he would like to have an enabling environment that would be devoid of the unnecessary distractions including threats to his life by some miscreants that he knows very well.
Amoo alleged that his problem started when Sunshine lost 0-1 to Nasarawa United in the Federation Cup Round of 16 despite playing with an under-strength team at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja.
"I am still the technical adviser of Sunshine Stars and I have not resigned at all as it is being peddled in the press. I only chose not to return now to Akure until the government deals with the issue of threats to my life by some miscreants who I believe were sponsored to cause disharmony in the team,” said Amoo.
"We went to Lokoja with 21 players of which 4 were goalkeepers. Some of our best players registered for the competition, like Yahaya Adamu who now plays for Kwara United, have left for other clubs. The new players we just bought are not eligible to play.
"We had to use a goalkeeper as a cover up to complete 18 players during our game against Nembe City and we won 2-1. No one said anything then but when we were beaten 1-0 by Nasarawa United, same side that beat Sunshine Stars 3-0 last year while they were still in the National League in the same competition, heaven wants to fall.
“There was no any record that the players or the coaches were assaulted when they lost 3-0 to Nasarawa United that were in the National League last year, but why now? We played with a half strength team and still held our own against them.
“But after the match some miscreants came to us and started beating Francis Shedrack, a striker because he couldn't score the chances that came his way. Will he deliberately not want to score?
“They came to where we packed our vehicle, they smashed the glass of the side window which injured our goalkeeper Moses Ocheje and also started raining curses on us that they would kill us if we come back to Akure because they say we are not from the state. Are we not one Nigeria?
"I will be ready to continue to work because I am not the type that abandons my work at the middle of the battle. I have the confidence in myself to deliver that was why I took up the job in the first place. The Ondo government must guarantee the safety of the coaches and the players and also strive to fish out those that have threatened to kill me if I step into Akure again.
“We have suspended training sessions because of the threat to our lives and the players are scattered as I speak with you. But as soon as all these are resolved, we are able to have an enabling environment to work and those that are causing confusion are fished out I will be ready to return," the former Eagles coach affirmed.
Goal gathered from a top source that the coach will resume his duty on Monday after he was prevailed upon to come back and that security issues around him will be resolved.
Sunshine Stars are 10th on the log with 31 points from 22 games and they travel to Gombe to face Gombe United in a Week 23 clash on August 4.